I didn't think the year was over yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
At around 2220 hours we are just finishing up graveyard briefing. We are doing the round table thing with the shift Sgt.. Our third deputy left on a call prior to briefing so it was just the three of us.

I brought in the little cylinder window-cutting tool I’m working on to show the troops and talk about it. The Sgt. is my #2 on the team who is now known as Lane B. The deputy that is on the call is a past team member who quit the department and returned in June. He is waiting to fill a team spot once he’s off of probation.

The other deputy just had to run of at the mouth. She pops off with something like some one is going to drive into the lake tonight. I’m not sure but I think she mentioned Fernan Lake. You remember that little polluted 400-acre wonderland people just love to park in.

Not very long after she said that, 2223 hours, the Alert Tone goes off. BEEEEEEEEP, district 3, unknown injury accident, Fernan Lake Road 1.5 miles from Sherman Ave., vehicle is in the water.

The three of us jump up and get to the cars and caravan out to the scene. It’s can’t get much more icy so our speeds are held down quite a bit. But while we are in route I’m getting undressed and running the scenario through my head.

As we leave Lane B advises dispatch to put out a full dive team page.

Off with the duty belt, ballistic vest, shirt and boots. Empty out my pockets and go through a mental dressing procedure.

The deputy that missed briefing was just a few seconds ahead of us and advised 25 mph max around the lake due to the extreme icing conditions. Boy was he right.

We arrive on scene at 2233 hours after covering the roughly 7 miles. I jump out and big mouth :D assists me getting suited up in my stiff frozen gear. I’m still in half of my uniform but that will be good enough for this dive as the vehicle is close to shore, has it lights on and is in about 8’ of water.

Lane B is getting suited as my back up and at approx. 2236 Fire/ Med arrives to assist in any way they can. They got a rope rigged so I could get over the bank and into the water, which happened to be at 2240. Hummmm, 7 minutes, bad, I need to work on that.

I walked out to the vehicle and a quick check shows a lot of litter but I can’t see any victims inside. A couple of the widows are down so the occupants may have made it out.

Towards town a wet shirt was recovered from the middle of the road giving us another indicator that someone made it out.

The tow shows up so I get it hooked up for removal and get out of the water. A State Police Trooper shows up to assist with the accident investigation and put the SUV’s minimum speed at round 60 mph. Holy Poo Batman you can’t pull those corners like that on dry roads. But silly me, it’s an SUV, they can go anywhere and do anything, Right?

The accident was actually 2.2 miles in and the road along the lake is only 2.6 miles long.

The third deputy has been out playing bloodhound all night and got a hold of the 4 occupants. It seems that at least a couple of them felt they were going to end up in the lake so they rolled down a couple of the windows just to be on the safe side. And I thought all North Idaho drivers were idiots.

After the dive I went back to the Marine Building and drove the car right into one of the heated bays. I dried out some of my gear, took a shower in my suit, washed down everything else and other than a wet dry suit (outside) I repacked and ready for the next one.

If we get another one tonight Lane B is getting wet so I can laugh at him.

Air temp roughly 20df. Water temp high 30’s. Vis approx 1.5’. Water depth 8’. Tank air temp 24df.

I didn’t quite get all of the uniform off I wanted off. My S&W Air Weight made another dive. That thing has acquired quite a bit of bottom time over the years. :D

I guess I earned my $.50 tonight so back on patrol.

Years ago when we did a dive on duty our shift was over and we went home still getting paid for a full shift. But with the better equipment we do a dive and around an hour later we are back at it ready to do it again.

Gary D.

Good job Gary!!!

As cold as it was for us last night (high 20's) I'm glad most of our waterways are dry now.

Hope you thaw out Gary :)

Here is the lake again.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=13&Z=11&X=325&Y=3299&W=1

Follow the road on the north side, just as it first gets to the lake headed west. You have a long straight away then the road turns to the right. They didn't make the turn and went straight off the point.

We responded from about the middle of the white area with no map.

Here is another sat pic of the area.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...e&state=ID&zipcode=83814&country=US&geodiff=1
Scroll to the east. The red star is just the map locater I used. The accident was on the other end of the lake.

Gary D.

Wo-hoo!!! I finally have Gary beat at SOMETHING!!! :rofl3:

We get 1.5x pay PLUS $5 for callouts! And we get to charge an extra hour for gear cleaning!

I'm doin my happy dance now! :monkeydan

Gary D.:
Years ago when we did a dive on duty our shift was over and we went home still getting paid for a full shift. But with the better equipment we do a dive and around an hour later we are back at it ready to do it again.

Gary D.

ReefGuy:
Wo-hoo!!! I finally have Gary beat at SOMETHING!!! :rofl3:

We get 1.5x pay PLUS $5 for callouts! And we get to charge an extra hour for gear cleaning!

I'm doin my happy dance now! :monkeydan
Don't let your dancing monkey throw a hip out of joint. :D

On off duty call outs we get 1.5x our pay but the $.50 we get is add to our hourly rate if we dive or not. So actually we get $80.00 a month for dive or special duty pay.
We don't offically get the hour for clean up but it somehow gets worked in. :monkeydan :monkeydan

BUT YOU HAVE THAT TOASTY WARM WATER. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Your suit leaks it's no big deal. Ours leak and it's squatting for a week. :11:

:D Gary D. :D

Two years ago I was the rookie on the Sheriff’s dive team with Gary D. You could say Gary D was my mentor and soon to be good friend. One thing that made me different from the rest of the group is I am a Captain in a Fire Department, my name is also Gary with a D. The dive team calls me “the Fire Guy”. Being the only non law enforcement diver on the team, well you can guess how much fun they have with me. Gary D and I are the two oldest on the team. Every time Gary D gave me a new suite to wear he would say this to me, “this suite is a good one, and it does not leak”. I admit I had some problems with dealing with the dry suite, but Gary D would keep giving me suites that would leak. One winter day we were training and Gary D gave me a different suite to wear. You know what happened that morning, yep! I got wet, 35 degrees wet water temp. So before our next dive Gary D and I went back to get a different suite for me to wear. Gary’s famous words came out of his mouth, “this suite is a good one, and it does not leak” as he smiles at me. So we run out to the boat house to go out to our next dive and Gary D and I were the first in the water. We jumped in off the boat gave our “ok” and down we went. All I could think was, boy I sure am cold and were in the dogs poo did Gary D go. We were only diving to about 40’. I made it to the bottom and I was so stinking cold I was shivering. Gary D swam up to me and asked me if I was ok, I gave him the cold sign, Gary D gave me the ok sign, I shook my head no, gave him the shiver sign again. Gary D gave me the ok sign again, I said no back to him and then I pointed to the suffuse and took off. When we got up to the boat they asked me what was wrong. I told them I was getting hypothermia and I need help out of the water. They asked me if I was wet. I was so cold I could not tell them if I was wet or dry. After helping me back on the boat, they unzipped my dry suite and water ran out of the zipper. One of the divers said, well I guess we know why you are so cold! All I could think of besides trying to get everything off me was if Gary D was laughing. I feel during this 6 to 9 months Gary D was seeing just how far he could push me and see if I would really fit into a team of just cops. After that Gary D gave me his dry suite and I stay dry.
The Fire Guy.

PSD takes a lot of trust in your team mates. Gary D and I did a recovery dive this last spring together, and I do not like “black water” and this was black black water! Not only was it black water it was 93’ deep and 38 degrees. The 38 degrees and the 93’ is no problem, but you add black water and that starts me thinking. Ok, I have 100% trust in Gary D that he will not put me at risk, so lets rock I said! At first Gary D turned me down and would not let me do the dive with him. I think he thought I was going to over do it and something would go wrong, But we talked about it so let’s get er done. One of the best thing about our team is you can say no.
When we hit the 93 foot mark at first I forgot I need to put air in my suite, but it did not take to long for me to remember after the suite made a road map all over my body. When Gary D and I were on the bottom you could put your gauge up to your mask with the light and not be able to see the numbers. Seeing your partner is non existent, I could not even see his light. When we hit bottom the only way we could communicate was by putting our hands inside each others hands. I made the “ok” sign in Gary’s hand then he took off to try to find our victim. We had put a knot in the rope so I would know when to stop Gary D. He did a fly and then back and the next thing I knew Gary D was brushing up beside me. Again, not knowing what Gary D wanted I found his BC and fallowed up his arm to his hand and he was doing the “up” sign, so I put my hand inside his and gave him the “ok” sign. The up we went. It was not till about 35’ we could start seeing a little light. If I was not with Gary D or one of the guys I really trust, I am not sure I would have done that dive. When people say zero visibility, I can say I have been there and done that. But only with someone I truly trust. I still would not do that dive today again with just anyone do to the black water. I wonder if I will ever get over the “black water” issue?

Gary M:
I wonder if I will ever get over the “black water” issue?

The Other Gary D - Being a FireGuy as well, the fact that we wear SCBA in Zero Visibility conditions in structures helps to get oriented to Zero Vis in the water. As a team leader, I always worry about the new guys and how they will react in Zero vis when they are looking for a victim. 30' or 40' underwater is no place to panic when they come across a victim. Unfortunately, you cannot tell what will occur until that time comes.

One suggestion that I find helps me. As you reach the bottom, do not immediately go into search mode (unless in rescue mode). Take a minute to get oriented to being there, take some calming breaths, relax, and then start your patterns. Since you are really feeling your way around on the bottom, I tend to close my eyes in true zero vis conditions. Visually, your brain is working to comprehend the conditions that the eyes are reporting and that tends to overwhelm other thoughts. I find that by closing my eyes in true zero viz, removes that visual process from the brain and allows me to focus on the task at hand.

It's obvious that from Gary's posts, that his concern for the team and it's members is true and sincere. I believe his efforts are intended to insure that Everyone Goes Home and although cruel at times, it will make you a better, stronger diver. Having said that, the next time he gives you a dry suit, inflate it out of the water until it ballons and then determine if it holds air. If it doesn't, don't zip him up 100% of the way!!!!!

Stay safe!

Dan

Lane B and I aren’t always but can be very hard on our guys. The better they do the tougher we like to get. Some may agree or disagree but in training we will push the new guys until we see them start to stress. I need to find that point in training and not on a real operation.

On a real operation you need to focus on what needs to be done. Not on if I’m going to get cold or uncomfortable. Getting cold and being uncomfortable in training shows the guys they can still do the job and their discomfort can be dealt with.

In the early days Gary M just didn’t stress on us. So as a result I kept pushing and pushing until he started to show some signs. He knows now that if we, or he alone was back at a hundred feet in poor vis and he flooded, it’s no big deal. He can either finish what he’s doing or come on up as his survival is not an issue.

By the way a couple of the floods weren’t intentional. :D

When he went down w/o putting air in the suit I have to take the blame for that one. I must have estuation tubes the size of fire hoses because I can go down as fast and as hard as I can swim. The day we did that he tried to stay up with me and he worried about clearing and not equalizing the suit. The rest of the team knows to either stop me or let me go.

Anyhow, I gave Gary M my suit and for some reason he has been dry ever sense. :D

Our guys get pushed hard at times in training. But as a result I can say when we are on an operation I don’t have to worry about them that much. They all have good level heads and the skills to match.

Last night was our Christmas Party and I got a major unexpected surprise. I’m still in shock.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64205/cat/500/ppuser/2714

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom