"I didn't know it was against the law."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With lobster at the retailers around 3 bucks a pound, why would anyone 1) buy an air fill; 2) fill the boat with gas; 3) Risk a $750 fine for less than $100 worth of lobsters. I do understand the purpose of going diving is to have fun, and lobstering is just another way to do that, but it seems that this guy was trying to save a few bucks?????

That being said years ago I saw an old dude (60's +) wearing vintage 70's scuba gear trying to sneak a solo dive in Dutch Springs, Pa while under the guise of going swimming/snorkeling

X

Is the beef here an old guy, vintage gear, solo diving, or sneaking into Dutch Springs? Be careful how you answer.

750 is cheap for this level of plunder.

That being said years ago I saw an old dude (60's +) wearing vintage 70's scuba gear trying to sneak a solo dive in Dutch Springs, Pa while under the guise of going swimming/snorkeling - he probably had a lapsed cert, much like his gear. The old fart was questioned by the owner of Dutch Springs and summarily kicked out of the place while my teen-aged students watched. The takeaway message was - "no fool like an old fool."

X

lapsed cert? To my knowledge cert's are good for life, I also know some divers who enjoy diving vintage gear...

well ya new englanders have the same problem we do but atleast you get a good bag limit. Ours is 6 during regular season per day and 12 during mini season. its kinda nice but sad when i can get a legal limit on first dive just because if i have anyone over for dinner my limit runs out in 1 dinner, but I also know i cant get any more bugs so dont bother looking at that point and can see or do other things. come here and all you see is bodies floating in the water at times, the guys up there atleast leave the tails on them so possibly they can live

What certs lapse?

I'm looking at my GUE Cave 2 card. Has a renew date on there.

As per the old dude at Dutch Springs - nothing like trying to sneak into the place under a swimmers pass and getting caught by Stu as he is inching his way to knee-deep level, water while his gray-haired wife is wringing her hands at the shore. What was comical (much like the lobster guy) were the lies spun by someone who should have known better.

Some of the replies to my posts have a bit of a 'h-on" aspect to them. Be careful how you answer. :)

X

I'm looking at my GUE Cave 2 card. Has a renew date on there.

X

So he was diving what cave at DS? Aha, so he was diving when he shoulda been swimming. Didn't know that you needed a cert (lapsed or otherwise for that). What is "h-on"?

Last edited:
So he was diving what cave at DS? Aha, so he was diving when he shoulda been swimming. Didn't know that you needed a cert (lapsed or otherwise for that). What is "h-on"?

Do I need to spell it out?

Old dude was probably from NJ and probably needed a few bucks given how much tax you guys pay. :eyebrow:

X

"The law anticipates that some people, like Clarkson, might try to avoid detection by simply taking the claws, so it is presumed that such claws came from a short lobster."

A pretty good assumption.
Same type of law in Fl for spiny lobster...a tail without a body is a short! Oh, and they DO like to take your gear down here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom