"I didn't know it was against the law."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This gives us a bad name like RIOceanographer and pdive said. We might be able to show divers better if we are a little proactive here. You'll see my comment as underseagirl in the blog with the article. Let's have more divers go to the Gloucester Times article on the link pdive gave and show disgust for Clarke's behavior and support for more than the slap of the hand that this guy got for what seems like 3 infractions on the same day- shorts on his first boarding, claws on his second, and over the limit overall for the day. It would be good to show that this guy's the minority, like a poacher on land doesn't reflect that most deer hunters are legit. Let's get blogging!

What ticks me off is that there are people are going to read that story and assume that sort of attitude is typical of divers when 99% of us follow the rules. Truth is most divers can't stand it when other divers do things like that because it gives us all a bad name and encourages harassment which adversely affects us all.

I do not think you folks up there in the frozen North are lobster-mobsters any more than we are down here in the land of perpetual warm water.

Everybody has their share of poachers and game law violators, no matter where you go to dive in the world.

I do however make the assumption that you are all nuts diving in that cold water.

And....my mind is made up on that fact.

Chug

I do however make the assumption that you are all nuts diving in that cold water.

And....my mind is made up on that fact.

You, sir, are not wrong. That said, diving in New England is a pretty spectacular experience. You can insulate yourself against the cold pretty effectively (we dive in May in ~36-39'F waters in wetsuits). Above all though I think diving in cold waters is great training (and really makes you appreciate) diving in warm waters down south! If you can handle a problem with cold fingers imagine how dexterous you feel when they actually bend!

If you ever make it to New England give a yell and I'll show you what I mean.

Things could still go much worse for him if the agencies choose to make an example of him.

I think much like Michael Vick (dog fighting football player) this 62 year old, lobster-claw snatching dude will repent his ways by becoming a staunch Buddhist. He'll make good on his former evil act(s) by mediating the ongoing lobster war in Maine. As a supreme act of courage and repentance he'll perform an act of immolation during a communal clam bake between warring parties. :D

X

As a supreme act of courage and repentance he'll perform an act of immolation during a communal clam bake between warring parties. :D

X

Ya but he'll probably start the fire by rubbing two bugs together, one will be short and the other an egger.

Me likey clambakes, no matter how he starts the burn.

PTN

Wait! This dude had 19 legal lobsters? Doesnt that seem like a hefty take? 15 is the daily limit, isnt it? But to be honest, Close to 20 legal bugs is awful hard to pull ashore in a day, boat or not, no? I'd suggest this douche was also pocketing from lobster traps. They should have pulled off one of his claws.

I'd say 750 bucks is pretty cheap for 1. being either a complete idiot or 2. his disregard for the law. It's pretty doubtful anyone gets caught the first time they do something illegal.

Wait! This dude had 19 legal lobsters? Doesnt that seem like a hefty take? 15 is the daily limit, isnt it? But to be honest, Close to 20 legal bugs is awful hard to pull ashore in a day, boat or not, no? I'd suggest this douche was also pocketing from lobster traps. They should have pulled off one of his claws.

I'd say 750 bucks is pretty cheap for 1. being either a complete idiot or 2. his disregard for the law. It's pretty doubtful anyone gets caught the first time they do something illegal.

750 is cheap for this level of plunder.

That being said years ago I saw an old dude (60's +) wearing vintage 70's scuba gear trying to sneak a solo dive in Dutch Springs, Pa while under the guise of going swimming/snorkeling - he probably had a lapsed cert, much like his gear. The old fart was questioned by the owner of Dutch Springs and summarily kicked out of the place while my teen-aged students watched. The takeaway message was - "no fool like an old fool."

X

To be old and Wise you must first be young and stupid!
See you topside! Oh yah With legal lobster! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom