I did it! I'm signed up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Big Whoop...Its doesn't have to be "DIR approved" to take the class.
Actually, this may be as good of a time as any to ask...

My suit has cuff rings installed. It allows for dry gloves to be used (or not) and if they are used, it also maintains the normal wrist seal. The Dress For Success book said that the "cuff rings should not be permanently installed on the suit." However, it seems like the concern was over a ripped glove resulting in the flooding the suit - fair enough. But even with my rings, the inner seal would be maintained, so I cannot see why there is any concern over having the rings permanently mounted. [I opted for the rings so I could do a quick change of the wrist seal in the field if need be.]

I also saw that they recommend a front zip on the dry suits. When shopping for my suit, I was told that the front zippers tend to wear out sooner than a back shoulder zipper due to the bending of the torso stressing the zipper. Not sure how significant this was, but I opted for the back zipper. I did get a releaf zipper installed in case I needed to take care of something by myself. :wink:

Tod:
Actually, this may be as good of a time as any to ask...

My suit has cuff rings installed. It allows for dry gloves to be used (or not) and if they are used, it also maintains the normal wrist seal. The Dress For Success book said that the "cuff rings should not be permanently installed on the suit." However, it seems like the concern was over a ripped glove resulting in the flooding the suit - fair enough. But even with my rings, the inner seal would be maintained, so I cannot see why there is any concern over having the rings permanently mounted. [I opted for the rings so I could do a quick change of the wrist seal in the field if need be.]

I also saw that they recommend a front zip on the dry suits. When shopping for my suit, I was told that the front zippers tend to wear out sooner than a back shoulder zipper due to the bending of the torso stressing the zipper. Not sure how significant this was, but I opted for the back zipper. I did get a releaf zipper installed in case I needed to take care of something by myself. :wink:
Ask...There isn't a question in that whole post :wink:

Besides, you should start an new thread if you want discussion on those issues, but those issues are very good topics to ask a Fundies instructor.

JeffG:
Ask...There isn't a question in that whole post :wink:

Besides, you should start an new thread if you want discussion on those issues, but those issues are very good topics to ask a Fundies instructor.
Okay, point taken...

I did my DIR - F class with Joe T out of 5th D, but Steve W finished my certification last weekend. He is a great instructor. I am on to Rec Triox in two weeks with Bob S

TSandM:
Acting on the tip from Rick Inman, I called and called this morning and finally got through to Fifth Dimension . . . and there were still spots left for the November DIR-F course.

In case anybody can't tell, I'm very psyched.

Really do envy you. There will be a DIR-F class here in Thailand in 2 weeks and I will have to miss it. Just can't escape the work load as yet. :-(

Hope you will enjoy yourself as much as other and as much as I am imgaing I would. :wink:

I finally signed up too, taking the DIR-F class in November with Joe Talavera. I have been looking forward to taking it for quite a while now, I can't wait!

TSandM:
Acting on the tip from Rick Inman, I called and called this morning and finally got through to Fifth Dimension . . . and there were still spots left for the November DIR-F course.

In case anybody can't tell, I'm very psyched.

vbcoachchris:
Steve W finished my certification last weekend. I am on to Rec Triox in two weeks with Bob S

Anybody else see a problem with this?? Chris, I think you might have missed something here..

Even if you get the required 25 dives in time, the important aspect is to avoid going from class to class and spend some time practicing the skills in between classes and not rushing from one class to the next. That training model doesn't produce the kind of diver you want to be..

Just some thoughts to consider..

Regards

MHK:
Anybody else see a problem with this?? Chris, I think you might have missed something here..

Even if you get the required 25 dives in time, the important aspect is to avoid going from class to class and spend some time practicing the skills in between classes and not rushing from one class to the next. That training model doesn't produce the kind of diver you want to be..

Just some thoughts to consider..

Regards
FWIW - these guys have been practicing their skills for months since they originally took their DIR-F class. Due to a confluence of schedules and GUE "politics", instructors simply were not available to do their re-evaluations in a timely manner. Some have been waiting for their re-eval to be scheduled for over a year.

Of the ones that Steve re-evaluated this past week-end, most have done more than 100 dives (in some cases way more than that) since their original DIR-F class ... and have been diving in doubles for quite some time now.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
FWIW - these guys have been practicing their skills for months since they originally took their DIR-F class. Due to a confluence of schedules and GUE "politics", instructors simply were not available to do their re-evaluations in a timely manner. Some have been waiting for their re-eval to be scheduled for over a year.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

As you know, I know that particular market quite well, so I have little doubt that practice has taken place, but taken at face value Chris' comments could have been read by some as advocating going directly from one class to the next, which stands in stark contrast to the underlying ideology GUE advocates. Believe me when I tell you, GUE HQ isn't interested in why deviations from standards occur, whether it be because of scheduling conflicts, "politics", weather, pool unavailability or what have you, we get held to the fire when it comes to observing standards so I'd be concerned about a re-eval taking place this past weekend and doing a Troix class next weekend. I've had to turn down many students under similiar circumstances so I hope he has a busy 2 weekends ;-)

BTW, how are you doing??

Regards

MHK:
Bob,

As you know, I know that particular market quite well, so I have little doubt that practice has taken place, but taken at face value Chris' comments could have been read by some as advocating going directly from one class to the next, which stands in stark contrast to the underlying ideology GUE advocates. Believe me when I tell you, GUE HQ isn't interested in why deviations from standards occur, whether it be because of scheduling conflicts, "politics", weather, pool unavailability or what have you, we get held to the fire when it comes to observing standards so I'd be concerned about a re-eval taking place this past weekend and doing a Troix class next weekend. I've had to turn down many students under similiar circumstances so I hope he has a busy 2 weekends ;-)

BTW, how are you doing??

Regards
I understand ... and obviously you know the standards much better than I. But I figured I'd explain that it wasn't exactly jumping from one class to the next, when you consider that for some of these guys, their DIR-F class was held in June 2004.

I'm doing quite OK ... looking forward to a week in Bonaire, if I can make it past Rita on my way to get there (we leave tomorrow, and transfer thru Texas).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom