I chose Boniare, but now getting a little sceptical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and responded there. You sound like the perfect candidate for Bonaire...I think you will have an amazing time. Just be on your guard like you would in any other foreign country and don't leave anything in your car. Follow the resort's advice on anti-theft stuff there...I know Captain Don's advised us to always leave porch lights on (so someone breaking in via the sliding glass door might get spotted by someone on the grounds) for example..

Have fun!

Hi, marisa-t,

I was in Bonaire last September with Walter and Natasha and had a great time. People diving with helped make it that way as well :). On some future trips you might want to consider joining Natasha. Her trips are great and age varies from 20-60+ and everyone fits in.

With regards to the Carribean I'm always trying to figure out where to go each year but it is fun experiencing different islands. Like you I don't eat fish and want my meat and potatoes, love those fries... side of gravy and I'm there ;-)... Grand Cayman is very Americanized so for food it was the best from someone who grew up on Steak houses, pizza and Burger King. Bonaire was fine for food, just depends where you go like any other place.

I've been to a number of islands and thus far for diving and overall I rate them as follows (matter of taste):

1. Grand Cayman (Treasure Island - classic old Ramada but cheap and Lonestar Bar and Grill worth going back for!!!)
2. Bonaire (Plaza Resort - nice place, moonlit walks to town at night, felt safe, no one bothers you)
3. Curacao (Habitat Curacao- all to bed by 8PM)
4. St. John (night life better than Curacao but not diving, people nice)
5. St. Lucia (Anse Chastenet, my honeymoon, what can I say :), very poor)
6. Dominican Republic (very poor, although cave dives are awesome, too many pan handlers and never felt safe)

Suggest in Bonaire you do your boat dives but rent a car and get into the shore diving. Was the first time my wife and I really enjoyed shore dives, but it was great! New kind of freedom. If worried about theft just follow the Bonaire dive bus, Natasha will know the web site for it. You can store your stuff there while you dive. They visit a different shore dive site each day and sell snacks, etc...

Grand Cayman is still my favorite. Bonaire is something you should always do once since all divers talk about it. Then there is always Little Cayman or Cayman Brac but bring alot of books from everything I have heard.

Enjoy your trip, just get a car and tour a bit and you'll have a blast!

Kev

Personally I would say..dont go to Bonaire.....I was just there in November and I disliked it soo much that I am going back in February. :/

jepuskar once bubbled...
Personally I would say..dont go to Bonaire.....I was just there in November and I disliked it soo much that I am going back in February. :/
HHHhhhaarrr!
You reminded me of myself, Hong Kong, '81.
"Whatever you do, don't go to the 'Go Down'" I'd tell 'em... then beat feet there myself.
Rick :)

Bonaire.
Hands down.
Every time.
'Course I happen to love goat stew...
E. itajara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom