I can't help but notice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This really has become the denial thread.

There are years when ALL the uk diving deaths are over 50. It really is the case that younger divers die less often. Partly that is tomdo with there being plenty of older divers, but there is not a complete lack of younger divers.

It is bad enough that the RNLI are currently running a campaign to wake these divers up to the fact they are not as young as they once were.

Whether it is fitness, complacency or old school skills that kill the diver doesn't really matter.

This really has become the denial thread.
There may be some denial, but it also has a fair share of arrogance.

It is not too hard to read between the lines in your post that you think that once people hit a certain age (you use the number 50) that they should no longer dive. (True, you were careful not to say so explicitly, but the inference is definitely there.)

Perhaps you should be the one who brings a rocking chair over to my home and tries to tell me I am no longer welcome as a diver.

I think it may have more to do with the younger set managing to get themselves killed and injured participating in different activities. The disposable income and time required for significant diving seems more common in later stages of life.

*sigh* we may be in denial or just making our choices. Just think what would happen to the dive industry if us older and admittedly less physically fit divers ceased diving. Without the money we spend on dive equipment, travel and training the industry would collapse. IMHO dealing with older divers choosing to make informed choices and occasionally collapsing while diving is a better option for all involved.

There may be some denial, but it also has a fair share of arrogance.

It is not too hard to read between the lines in your post that you think that once people hit a certain age (you use the number 50) that they should no longer dive. (True, you were careful not to say so explicitly, but the inference is definitely there.)

Perhaps you should be the one who brings a rocking chair over to my home and tries to tell me I am no longer welcome as a diver.

Or maybe I am just pointing out that all the wishful thinking and denial does not help anyone?

As to your reading between the lines and making assumptions, I am already in this high risk group and intend to stay there for the next 20 plus years. I could certainly do with losing some fat.

When UK divers with BMI > 35 were stopped doing paid work a couple of years ago there were similar howls, but using prop forwards as examples.

Scuba diving | RNLI Respect the Water

I think it may have more to do with the younger set managing to get themselves killed and injured participating in different activities. The disposable income and time required for significant diving seems more common in later stages of life.

*sigh* we may be in denial or just making our choices. Just think what would happen to the dive industry if us older and admittedly less physically fit divers ceased diving. Without the money we spend on dive equipment, travel and training the industry would collapse. IMHO dealing with older divers choosing to make informed choices and occasionally collapsing while diving is a better option for all involved.

Would it be all bad if thousands of holiday divers stopped flying around the world contributing to global warming and then smashing the coralwhen they got there?

Really, what has the diving industry done to justify support?

Would it be all bad if thousands of holiday divers stopped flying around the world contributing to global warming and then smashing the coralwhen they got there?

You'd probably have to bring your own boat if you wanted to go diving in most destinations as the operators would all be out of business. At least you'd be able to dive at home and know you did some good by harming a couple other social groups that you currently fall outside!

The same thing McDonalds has done, provided a service folks are willing to pay for.

We carried almost 100 people on night dives last night, they were all happy to pay $80 each to go.

I haven't read every page in this thread because it's simply too much from the same. From the pages I did read it notice an rather alarming tendency. It looks like the people who've been showing acceptance/excuses/"I'm offended"/"it's fine, I'm just not like you" towards obesity/overweight are almost all from the United States. I don't wanna generalize nor do I want to stereotype anybody. I might be wrong because I didn't read every post on here..

The same thing McDonalds has done, provided a service folks are willing to pay for.

We have had the dive industry, McDonalds and Pablo Escobar doing that.

I'd like to make it clear that I don't criticise anyone for their lifestyle choices which may have supported Mr Escobar in the past.

are you comparing a maniacal narco murderer with the dive industry?

Back
Top Bottom