I broke my leg. When can I dive? Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In mid January 2006 I broke my leg while snowboarding. It was a compound fracture of my Fibula. The doc stitched me together in the ER, after making a 7 inch long incision along my left calf, in order to clean it up and what not. Three days later I was in so much pain I went back to the doctor and they diagnosed me with "compartment syndrome. Definitition below:

(increased pressure within a muscle compartment that causes a decrease in blood supply to the affected muscles. The so-called compartments are groups of muscles surrounded by inelastic fascia and thus any swelling of muscles leaves no room for expansion and blood supply is progressively cut-off)

In order to alleviate the compartment syndrome, the ER staff took out all the sutures and staples in order to let the fluid out. They decided it best to leave the wound open and let it heal naturally so that the risk of infection would be lower and so compartment syndrome would not happen again. I had to lay on my back for the next five weeks, then learn to walk again.

As of today, 5/02/2006, I am walking quite normally, with virtually no pain. The wound has been healing, but is still open about a half inch and is about 3 inches long. Lots of scarring in the area. I have suffered some amount of nerve damage and/or the nerve has not totally come back. I have about 30% sensation in the top of my foot and I can't lift my big toe upwards, although I can curl it down.

I feel fine to dive, despite the open wound, but I'm looking for opinions, case studies, rules of thumb, etc. as to when I can dive. Of course, it would be recreationally, and conservative.

I guess my biggest concern is the potential for scar tissue and/or lack of circulation in the lower left leg elevating my risk for DCS.

the attached picture was taken a day after they treated me for compartment syndrome. I'll post a more recent picture when I get the time.

thanks for any and all comments :)

humanfish

I have no advice for you but you do have my sympathies. Man, that looks (and sounds) like a whole world of hurt!

I wish you the very best. Get well!

Hi.

Tib / Fib here. 10" titanium rod, SS screws, etc. Deep scar on the knee. No other complications. Nothing as nasty as you've described.

59574796.Before.jpg
59574790.After.jpg

Did my first dive about 7 or 8 weeks later. I dive dry. No issues apart from getting rolled in the surf due to lack of strength at the time.

I'm no doc, but I hardly see scar tissue in your calf elevating your DCS levels to a concern. I'm a recreational diver. Calling DAN is solid. You want practical, there it is.

Be careful!

---
Ken

I know absolutely nothing about medicine, much less dive medicine. However, a co-worker of mine recently broke her hand, and a few weeks later flew to the mountains in Colorado. She had a terrible, terrible case of altitude sickness her entire trip - this was attributed to her body not knowing where to allocate 'resources' for healing (red blood cells and the like I guess). She was fine once she returned back down a few thousand feet, but I guess I would wonder if the physiology of healing could have significant off-gassing implications. If I were in your situation I would probably wait until I was pretty far along with phys. therapy and the bones were thought to be pretty much mended, and then play it extra-super-conservative (and get the medical blessing). But I'm a bit anal retentive, and like I said, definitely not a doctor (or even a very experienced diver). Glad you are feeling better!!

Oh yes - I wonder too if there might be some research in diving with diabetes that could be relevant regarding the lack of sensation you are having. May be some sort of recommendation for that...

Mo2vation:
Hi.

Tib / Fib here. 10" titanium rod, SS screws, etc. Deep scar on the knee. No other complications. Nothing as nasty as you've described.

Did my first dive about 7 or 8 weeks later. I dive dry. No issues apart from getting rolled in the surf due to lack of strength at the time.

I'm no doc, but I hardly see scar tissue in your calf elevating your DCS levels to a concern. I'm a recreational diver. Calling DAN is solid. You want practical, there it is.

Be careful!

---
Ken

Tib-Fib hah? I didn't notice the hardware initially. Doctors said I was lucky as they usually see tib-fib breaks instead of fibula only. I think it might be a toss-up as too who had it worse. My wound for your tibia and hardware, take your pick :) At any rate, hope you are well healed and thanks for sharing. Sounds like you recovered really quickly...

humanFish:
Tib-Fib hah? I didn't notice the hardware initially. Doctors said I was lucky as they usually see tib-fib breaks instead of fibula only. I think it might be a toss-up as too who had it worse. My wound for your tibia and hardware, take your pick :) At any rate, hope you are well healed and thanks for sharing. Sounds like you recovered really quickly...

To begin the story would have people bouncing their domes off their monitors. Suffice it to say I was MONTHS ahead of schedule, no lingering issues, virtually pain free from the moment of the accident, got back in the water quickly and I give glory to God for my healing.

Don't be so hasty to trade hardware for wounds. Chics dig scars... :wink:

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Don't be so hasty to trade hardware for wounds. Chics dig scars... :wink:
I've got both.... If scar tissue or leg hsrdware were an issue for increasing DCS risk, I'd be hosed. As it is, I dive pretty conservatively with respect to managing the offgassing process. But as others have suggested.... best difinitive answer to your question will be from DAN (which it seems you have already done).

If you're diving wet, you should probably wait until the wound is completely closed to keep from introducing ocean cooties into the wound :11:

My kid/dive buddy (age 14 at the time) broke the tib and fib at the end of July (the day after paying for a cruise to Cozumel & Belize). Fortunately, no hardware and no cutting. He was not cleared to dive until late December. With your injury, I'd guess you've got several months to go. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom