I broke my leg. When can I dive? Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanFish:
As of today, 5/02/2006, I am walking quite normally, with virtually no pain. The wound has been healing, but is still open about a half inch and is about 3 inches long. Lots of scarring in the area. I have suffered some amount of nerve damage and/or the nerve has not totally come back. I have about 30% sensation in the top of my foot and I can't lift my big toe upwards, although I can curl it down.

I feel fine to dive, despite the open wound, but I'm looking for opinions, case studies, rules of thumb, etc. as to when I can dive. Of course, it would be recreationally, and conservative.

I would not like to dive with a open wound such as you describe. All sorts of creepy crawlies could get into it. With all that you have been through do you want to risk an infection?

Thanks everybody for the replies. I really appreciate all the responses, keep them coming.

My MD cleared me for diving yesterday, and DAN has cleared me as well. As for the open wound, it's closing a little each day and won't amount to much by the time I'll be diving, at which point a couple DM's have advised me on a way for me to keep the wound dry while I'll be diving wet.

ItsBruce:
My kid/dive buddy (age 14 at the time) broke the tib and fib at the end of July (the day after paying for a cruise to Cozumel & Belize). Fortunately, no hardware and no cutting. He was not cleared to dive until late December. With your injury, I'd guess you've got several months to go. Sorry.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Why didn't they clear your buddy for 5 months? Just curious...

humanFish:
Thanks everybody for the replies. I really appreciate all the responses, keep them coming.

My MD cleared me for diving yesterday, and DAN has cleared me as well. As for the open wound, it's closing a little each day and won't amount to much by the time I'll be diving, at which point a couple DM's have advised me on a way for me to keep the wound dry while I'll be diving wet.
Safe diving!

Not a leg, but 4 years ago, a drunk driver took me out. Gallazi fracture of the left arm. Radius snapped like a twig, wrist dislocated at the ulna. Open reduction of the radius and a plate and 6 screws requred to repair it. 2 months in a cast, then physical therapy. DAN and the doc agreed that I should wait even after the cast came off for the bone to weave together securely and the holes in the bone to heal around the screws. Recommendation was 3 months. Definately required patience, but I would rather follow advice and be patient then risk a pressure injury that might halt or styme my dive career going forward. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom