I bought a house in Lake City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also CBP doesn't recruit using flyers on pizza boxes, so the quality of employee is a little higher.

CBP officers are often cranky SOBs. The ones I've had to deal with at the Rosemont, IL office that deal with trade issues are massively cranky. I swear the cranky attitude is issued to them along with their uniform and handgun. You'd call and before you can even start talking, they start snarling into the phone. The ones in smaller ports of entry, such as as Int'l Falls, MN or Cleveland are much more pleasant.

CBP officers are often cranky SOBs. The ones I've had to deal with at the Rosemont, IL office that deal with trade issues are massively cranky. I swear the cranky attitude is issued to them along with their uniform and handgun. You'd call and before you can even start talking, they start snarling into the phone. The ones in smaller ports of entry, such as as Int'l Falls, MN or Cleveland are much more pleasant.

My interactions have all been pleasant, but that is typically just registering my guns for overseas trips so we often end up shooting the breeze for 30 minutes as they handle the paperwork.

But I would imagine that most of their normal interactions are more hostile so they adopt a hostile attitude as a defense.

Also since the local port is mostly fruit shipments I would imagine things are probably more streamlined.

My interactions have all been pleasant, but that is typically just registering my guns for overseas trips so we often end up shooting the breeze for 30 minutes as they handle the paperwork.

But I would imagine that most of their normal interactions are more hostile so they adopt a hostile attitude as a defense.

These are the officers who handle trade, not passport control. I just think that with Chicago, which is the biggest "inland port" they have to deal with a lot of stupid people. I was a regular caller and a few officers knew me by name. I was always pleasant, but I don't like dealing with stupid people, either.

These are the officers who handle trade, not passport control. I just think that with Chicago, which is the biggest "inland port" they have to deal with a lot of stupid people. I was a regular caller and a few officers knew me by name. I was always pleasant, but I don't like dealing with stupid people, either.

This is at the local port, mostly handles fruit shipments for large fruit companies. I prefer going there because they are open with regular hours and they answer the phone.

This is at the local port, mostly handles fruit shipments for large fruit companies. I prefer going there because they are open with regular hours and they answer the phone.

Yeah, that's a lot different than an office next to O'Hare. The amount of cargo into Chicago under normal circumstances between ORD and the six railroads that meet here would make your head spin. That why I mentioned the officers in smaller ports such as Int'l Falls, MN and Cleveland are much more pleasant.

Everything is loaded in the Container and I still have 3 feet lengthwise free!:thumb::drunks:
Still gotta strap the last few feet down and attach the seals onto the doors.
Container will be picked up tomorrow between 10:00 and 12:00 GMT-2.
I'm hurting all over, I've even got muscle pains where I didn't know that I had muscles:surrender:
Hopefully it'll get better, it can't get any worse.

I'll attach pictures soon.

Michael

Just think you’ll have the joy of unpacking it too.... LOL. Hope you find some help back here in the states when you get here!!

Just think you’ll have the joy of unpacking it too.... LOL. Hope you find some help back here in the states when you get here!!

Unpacking it is OK and if it takes weeks in my garage thats OK too. What worries me, if I can't hire enough unloaders I'll end up paying $85 an hour after the first free 2 hours until the container is empty. I hope that I can find 5 willing, hardworking and strong unloaders - if not I'm really screwed. Marie13 advised to check at the various U-Hauls around Lake City for unloaders - hope I can find 5 willing and strong backs that way.

Michael

Unpacking it is OK and if it takes weeks in my garage thats OK too. What worries me, if I can't hire enough unloaders I'll end up paying $85 an hour after the first free 2 hours until the container is empty. I hope that I can find 5 willing, hardworking and strong unloaders - if not I'm really screwed. Marie13 advised to check at the various U-Hauls around Lake City for unloaders - hope I can find 5 willing and strong backs that way.

Michael

Driver detention adds up VERY quickly! You do not want to pay that! I'd check with the U-Haul places now to see about availability, even if it's just tentative!

My container showed up today and I put the first 2 tons of storage bottles and Sofnolime in it.View attachment 585574 View attachment 585573
Got no idea who ended up getting the other 29 pallets of Sofnolime, I only got one.
Everything hurts now.:(
Hope to load another 2 tons tomorrow.

Michael

@michael-fisch

I just looked at the photos again and realized this is a Maersk container. Even though it's a MSC vessel, Maersk and MSC share vessels. When you get your shipping docs (bill of lading) from the shipping company. I traced the container on Maerk's website but they don't tend to show info until the loaded container has been returned to the port

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom