I bought a house in Lake City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my, my back hurts just looking at your container contents. Being unfamiliar with container shipment..... is there a weight limit?

By the way, what is the U.S. customs review process look like?

If that's a 20ft container, max to be road legal within the US is 37,500 lbs without a triaxle chassis. 44K with a tri.

What you want to know? I'm a licensed customs broker.

@Doctor Rig

Customs clearance in the US is all electronic. If the broker has a national license, they can do clearance at any US "port of entry" (includes PR). Usually goes pretty quickly unless the importer doesn't provide correct information/documents. Depending on goods being imported, other gov't agencies might get involved (EPA, FDA, ATF, etc.). Other agency involvement also increases the chance of complications.

For Michael’s sake I sure hope it’s that simple. Quite a bit difference from what travelers experience with TSA.

Thanks for the information!

For Michael’s sake I sure hope it’s that simple. Quite a bit difference from what travelers experience with TSA.

Thanks for the information!

TSA and CBP are two totally different agencies, even though both are under DHS. Domestic US travelers won't have anything to do with CBP. CBP used to be just US Customs, under Treasury, until DHS was formed after 9/11.

Itemized Bill of Lading, Pro Forma Invoice.
Household Goods of US Citizen returning to USA after prolonged residence abroad.
No Firearms, Explosives, Radioactives, Medicines, Drugs, Tobacco, Alcohol, Food, Seeds, Plants, Bugs or Animals.
Theoretically I shouldn't have any problems, even though the Itemized Bill of Lading and Pro Forma Invoice are running slightly over 10 pages each.

Michael

If that's a 20ft container, max to be road legal within the US is 37,500 lbs without a triaxle chassis. 44K with a tri.

What you want to know? I'm a licensed customs broker.
Any thoughts on what the customs clearance process is like for Canadians moving to the US temporarily on a TN work visa?

Any thoughts on what the customs clearance process is like for Canadians moving to the US temporarily on a TN work visa?

Household goods are household goods, regardless of where you're coming from. However, if you're driving across and bringing all your stuff with you, it would be a bit different as a customs broker would not be involved. You'd have to have your documents in order and present them to CBP as you cross the border.

Are you here yet? Asking for a friend... :D

I'll be showing up in Jacksonville about 20:00 on 26 May, with my cat "Kater", and we will be renting a small car from Enterprise for a week.
Buy food on 27 May, order a lot of stuff from Amazon, sign up with AT&T for internet and no frills TV and start looking for a car.
Gotta get a small but nice IR gas grill and 2 propane tanks from Lowes.
My ship hits Savannah on 7 June and I'm guessing that it'll take a week before I see my container, unpacking will take a couple of weeks, - longer if cat helps but then I want to dive. As soon as I buy a car (minivan) I'll come by and visit and as soon as I'm unpacked
I'd love to do a housewarming party, - you definately are invited, but you can drop by anytime to shoot the **** anyway.

Michael

TSA and CBP are two totally different agencies, even though both are under DHS. Domestic US travelers won't have anything to do with CBP. CBP used to be just US Customs, under Treasury, until DHS was formed after 9/11.

Also CBP doesn't recruit using flyers on pizza boxes, so the quality of employee is a little higher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom