I apologize ahead of time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Absolutely bizarre question, had no idea where to post it, if this is in the wrong place, I appreciate you moving it...

So I know its a wierd question but, Does anyone dive with facial piercings, just curious if that can be a problem, do you have bubbles leak out the hole (referring to lips and mouth area), or water leak in...

I know I know its bizarre, but I was asked, and I have absolutely no idea.

Never had a piercing, but I've seen enough of them. Most that penetrate the oro-naso-pharyngeal cavities are ones on the nasal ala (the rim of the nostril), the lips (either in the center or on the edge). My guess is that the majority will remove them to facilitate mask clearing and tight regulator fit. In either case, the mask will seal the piercing, or the reg will fit over the piercing.

Once removed, the hole essentially seal itself... So you don't have to worry about it.

I've seen photos of folks who put expander rings into their lip (plate like devices). Now these folks might have a little problem sealing their reg...

I don't know about external piercings but divers with pierced tongues need to make sure the post is tight if they choose not to remove it. Having one of the ends come off and accidentally inhaling it will screw up your day. I was DM'ing for a class and one student was about to get into the water when he realized the ball on his post was loose. Can't tighten one with 5mm gloves on so he stuck his tongue out and had me tighten it for him. That was a little weird.
Ber :lilbunny:

yikes, ty for the info and more, I like my students but I think I would make mine take his glove off :p

Just curious, what about a labret(spelling?) or the corner of the mouth/cheek piercings that seem to be getting more popular?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom