I am no "nature nazi" but was there a point to this hunt ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
good point, actually... but if it is legal to kill the bear, then... i would assume
that means there's enough of them?

Depends on who you talk to. Some organizations will tell you that grizzlies are endangered. Others will tell you the grizzly population is doing fine. In BC, I don't think there is an open season on Grizzly anymore, but there is a lottery system.

btw, this thing is a hybrid between a polar bear (bad *** mother-ffffff) and
a grizzly bear (crazy bad *** mother-ffffff).

A polar bear, IIRC, is the only bear that will stalk and kill a human for food. A grizzly, however, is just pissed and you happen to be in the way.

Bill.

:D
Has anyone followed Rocky Mountain National Park and the Elk overpopulation???

It seems one of their options, to reduce the herd, is to use specialized hunters with SILENCERS hunting at NIGHT, because they don't want to upset the daytime tourists...:D :D

The website is overwhelmed and not responding...:D :D ...gee, I wonder why...:D

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planning/elkvegetation/public.htm

Scuba65:
I just think hunting in general is cruel!

Yes hunting generals is probably cruel...but I support all enlisted mens' right to do so...ahhh...oops....never mind...:D :D

H2Andy:
i guess i'm having trouble understanding why a rug is different from the meat.

obviously, both have value to the hunter. there's no need to kill the bear
for food these days in our society ... so.... isn't that a sort of waste too,
using your logic?

i don't think it is. i think that if the hunter values the pelt, that's no more
a waste than killing the animal for food when you can go to the supermarket
and get meat from animals that were going to be slaughtered anyway.

this is all assuming that it is legal to take the particular animal.

If killed only for the pelt, then there will be several hundred pounds (or more) of meat left behind that is wasted. Ideally, as much of the kill is used, the meat, liver, heart, pelt, etc. so that little is wasted.

As for hunting in general and comparing hunting for food and grocery stores; for example, killing a buffalo can provide meat to more than one family for a good part of the year. The cost for a local (someone who doesn't require a guide and will pay low hunting fees if at all) in this case will be significantly less than buying food in a store. Then consider the quality of the food, no hormones, steroids, drugs, or animal-by-product is fed to the wild-grazing animals.

Cheers,
Bill.

Lightning Fish:
If killed only for the pelt, then there will be several hundred pounds (or more) of meat left behind that is wasted. Ideally, as much of the kill is used, the meat, liver, heart, pelt, etc. so that little is wasted.

As for hunting in general and comparing hunting for food and grocery stores; for example, killing a buffalo can provide meat to more than one family for a good part of the year. The cost for a local (someone who doesn't require a guide and will pay low hunting fees if at all) in this case will be significantly less than buying food in a store. Then consider the quality of the food, no hormones, steroids, drugs, or animal-by-product is fed to the wild-grazing animals.

Cheers,
Bill.

DO NOT EAT THE LIVER OF A POLAR BEAR!!!!

It will kill you thru Vitamin A poisoning....

A forensic pathologist from Norfolk, VA used to take great delight in this little tidbit of knowledge in the pre-internet days...:D :D

http://www.itk.ca/environment/wildlife-polar-bear.php

PaulChristenson:
DO NOT EAT THE LIVER OF A POLAR BEAR!!!!

It will kill you thru Vitamin A poisoning....

A forensic pathologist from Norfolk, VA used to take great delight in this little tidbit of knowledge in the pre-internet days...:D :D

http://www.itk.ca/environment/wildlife-polar-bear.php

Interesting.

Now would that be the case with a hybrid? :D

Bill.

H2Andy:
same species

trick question...

hey, has anybody tried to mate with a gorilla? how much alcohol would
that take?

oh wait... let's ask Green... i think he mated with a human being

(hahaha... sorry... oh ... sorry sorry)

You talking about me? Shouldn't that comment have been made under the bridge :wink:

Actually, this particular breed of bear was probably quite rare. It is now most likely extinct.

generals are not ok to hunt...... 2nd Lt's, on the other hand are fair game, overpopulated and surely in need of culling.

PaulChristenson:
Yes hunting generals is probably cruel...but I support all enlisted mens' right to do so...ahhh...oops....never mind...:D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom