Another wetsuit tale/question.....but longer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problem being made fun of, or making fun of others, so feel free to laugh at my expense.

I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing because I am remembering all the times I have been "stuck" in a wetsuit and your story helped to visualize my own plight(s). At one point I vowed to never put on or take off a wet suit with no one around. If you're stuck in a wet suit, modesty can take a back seat. It's also what I consider an efficient use of a buddy. :)

Cheers -

Just an update.......if anybody other than me cares? LOL......

I was back at my dive shop this afternoon and tried on a Bare 7mm reactive wetsuit in an XL.

I was quite pleased that I didn’t trash the joint, and I was able to get the back zip done up on my own.......with a bit of struggle mind you, but it was done.

I’m borrowing one to tryout tomorrow on my dive to see how it feels, and to see how the inrush of water is.

The instructor looked it over and thought that I was okay, but he was still on the fence between L and XL.

The L was jabbing into my throat and I could hardly move my arms, whereas this one just felt all around more comfortable.

I hope I didn’t make a mistake as we are out for two tanks tomorrow? LOL

From someone who doesn't dive in anything colder than 76°, you'll be fine! :wink:

Cheers -

Pushing you into a large when you're clearly uncomfortable almost to the point of distress is not a responsible thing to do. You should be able to get into your suit, move, and not have your circulation cut off. Good luck.

Hope the XL works out. If not get a custom suit. If you'll be diving allot they're worth the money.

Unfortunately, since I'm a drysuit diver I don't have anything helpful to add to the thread. But the OP reminded me of an old classic here on SB. I guess it's time to pull it up again.

Close call in the dressing room

New idea, hope it works:
My issue is that some body parts are fitted and other are not, so that fit looks good to salespeople if they look at height and waist, but can’t tell arms or legs are too tight. I have a normal figure, but calves like a Bangkok bicycle cabbie.
So my idea is to get a body cast from these people, send it to custom wetsuit guys and say make this exact fit in neoprene with fleece lining. And then not gain or lose weight ever.
It occurs to me that if it works, we can request private “Body classes for Divers”. I am in Uk now, but will ask about classes when i get home in September.
4B5A0179-6BF2-42F2-B8F1-0EF10F4D49FD.png

New idea, hope it works:
My issue is that some body parts are fitted and other are not, so that fit looks good to salespeople if they look at height and waist, but can’t tell arms or legs are too tight. I have a normal figure, but calves like a Bangkok bicycle cabbie.
So my idea is to get a body cast from these people, send it to custom wetsuit guys and say make this exact fit in neoprene with fleece lining. And then not gain or lose weight ever.
It occurs to me that if it works, we can request private “Body classes for Divers”. I am in Uk now, but will ask about classes when i get home in September.
View attachment 474203

I actually like the idea, though I would imagine it would be too cost prohibitive?

If wetsuits had no stretch whatsoever, I could see maybe having to go to that extreme.

Fortunately, they are very stretchy, so I don't think it's really that hard to have a custom wetsuit made just to measurements and have it fit perfectly.

I have had several sets of custom leathers made (for racing motorcycles), just based on normal measurements being taken, and they all fit perfectly. A really stretchy material would just make it even easier.

There are plenty of places offering made-to-measure wetsuits...

I actually like the idea, though I would imagine it would be too cost prohibitive?
Getting the body fitted skin translated into 7mm wetsuit will be very expensive, because custom wetsuits require the use of many seams to get flat neoprene into a 3-D suit. Even if i don’t do that, it might be fun to make a “Creature from Black lagoon” outfit, like a previous member of Scuba board did. Well, I’ll take the class, and see what the possibilities are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom