I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can use the computer for both air or nitrox just not both at the same time since you input the gas being used pre-dive - once. IIRC air is 21% - Nirtox varies around 30% - it depends what the compressor can do.

If you later to get into tech diving, there are computers that handle multiple gases simultaneously As you go deeper oxygen becomes toxic so you breathe alternate gases like helium.If you read about ox-tox complications/convulsions here - that's what they're talking about.

As a rec diver your limit is 130' so no worries..

Some regulators need to be nitrox cleaned and usually then dedicated to it. Often they'll have a green hose/fittings to indicate it.

Regulators Designed for Nitrox Equipment - SDI | TDI | ERDI

Were you to later dive nitrox, you have to take a class for it and then analyze every tank pre-dive to ensure that the mix is what you're planning to dive. Most boats have their own analyzer

Retractors

I'd be surprised if your shop doesn't sell something similar. They're around $20

You can use the computer for both air or nitrox just not both at the same time since you input the gas being used pre-dive - once. IIRC air is 21% - Nirtox varies around 30% - it depends what the compressor can do.

If you later to get into tech diving, there are computers that handle multiple gases simultaneously As you go deeper oxygen becomes toxic so you breathe alternate gases like helium.If you read about ox-tox complications/convulsions here - that's what they're talking about.

As a rec diver your limit is 130' so no worries..

Some regulators need to be nitrox cleaned and usually then dedicated to it. Often they'll have a green hose/fittings to indicate it.

Regulators Designed for Nitrox Equipment - SDI | TDI | ERDI

Were you to later dive nitrox, you have to take a class for it and then analyze every tank pre-dive to ensure that the mix is what you're planning to dive. Most boats have their own analyzer

Retractors

I'd be surprised if your shop doesn't sell something similar. They're around $20

They might have had retactors, I might have just not known what I was looking at. Worst case we can always get a clip and clip it to our BCs.

So question about gear storage; My sister and I were planning on storing our gear in the garage to keep the cats from messing with it, but it not climate controlled (no heat or AC) will the gear be fine?

I personally would not store any gear with rubber components in a non climate controlled space. Or neoprene

Do you guys have any thoughts on the SCUBAPRO AIR2? Looking though The Playground's BCs they have AIR2s preattached for $120 more, but their cheapest octo is the R095 for $158.

Before you decide based on cost, have your instructor demo both systems. Using a Air2 generally means the other diver is in an awkward position to use your primary and very close to you. Also you're likely controlling buoyancy for both of you with the Air2 in your mouth since if they have no air, they have no bc control either.

Also it may not be your sister but a stranger on the boat - trying hard not to drown.

Octo's aren't optimal either. Most have a longer hose so there's more flexibility during use. Miflex hoses are even more fleixoble.

Some like the Mares or Apeks Egress exhaust to the side and has a swivel so it works in either orientation. But It's not as good a breather. And if you pair it with SP regs, your shop has to service both brands.

Before you decide based on cost, have your instructor demo both systems. Using a Air2 generally means the other diver is in an awkward position to use your primary and very close to you. Also you're likely controlling buoyancy for both of you with the Air2 in your mouth since if they have no air, they have no bc control either.

Also it may not be your sister but a stranger on the boat - trying hard not to drown.

When I was certified we learned to buddy breathe - two divers sharing one 2nd stage. Octo's came along after there were some incidents where one decided he wanted the air more than his buddy.

Octo's aren't optimal either. Most have a longer hose so there's more flexibility during use. I like the ones like the Mares which exhausts to the side and has a swivel so it works in either orentation. But It's not as good a breather. And if you pair it with SP regs, your shop has to service both brands.

Fair enough. I would imagine by now you would be able to control your bc if you that to use the AIR2 in an emergency even if you have to use a value on the bc itself to release air, but I will be sure to ask. As far as being too close, my sister wants pink houses on her regulator setup so if we both go colored houses we can ask about putting on longer primary houses to solve that one.

I think The Playground will service most brands so this might just boil down to if we want to go all SP for the parts for life or not (also if using an octo from another brands will void our warranties or something dumb like that). Hell, when we actually decide to buy SP might have another offer where we can get a free octo if we get the rest of the gear from them

Buying a different brand octo has no effect on your warranty.

As new divers it's easy to believe Parts for Life marketing hype but don't let that be a factor that pushes you into more expensive all one brand gear purchase since labor is 80% of reg service cost and not covered.

As for Pink...
A friend of mine dives as much pink as she can get. LP (reg hose) is available in normal or Miflex. Also there's a pink mouthpiece available for Scubarpo since they use a slightly different diameter than some other brands IIRC. Atomic even has pink accents for their regulators, you change the purge cover, knob and exhaust ports with a kit.

A black HP hose can also be wrapped in a pink spiral hose wrap - costs $2.00 I've never seen pink HP hose but I don't look for it either...
Sea Elite Spiral Hose Wrap 48in

My friend has a pink framed mask, pink bladder on her BC with pink fabric inserts on a black jacket, solid pink fins (easy to spot her) and pink wet suit and boots All her hoses are wrapped. She even has a pink handled knife and her computer is white.

How many hands do you have? You have to assume you're using one to hold the other diver close and keep your octo in their mouth as they may be unconscous.

So most of your buoyancy control will be with the air2. while somehow managing to vent their BC as well since as you rise the air in it will expand and could drag you both up at an unsafe rate.

Getting a longer primary hose is a good idea. Typically they're 40, 60 or even 84" The longer hoses usually are wrapped around your body first to take up the slack so they don't hook on things as you dive. I dive a 36" primary and 40" octo. Standard on many reg pacakges is 32".

I doubt SP will ever give you a free octo but you might see if there's any deals on 1st/2nd/octo/gauge packages. I see them occasionally.

Typically a shop has 10% to work with off MSRP b4 cutting into their profit. so they may offer it to you - my Atomic dealer does but I buy $1400 regs from him and he knows I can get the same price online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom