I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So interesting update on my end, I fond some so place that offers Discover SCUBA courses. Here is the shops website if anyone has had any experience with them Welcome.

Comments on what I read on the website - it looks like an option.

What you really want to do is set up a time to meet the instructor though and discuss your plans/needs with him/her. Or a phone call when it's convenient for them. Not all instructors work at the shop - my 2 instructor friends don't - just get referrals from the shop they're affiliated with.

It might be good for both of you to do a Discover Dive b4 you commit to any sort of travel/training - both to ensure you can handle the gear and that you want to dive. I certified in a group of about 10-12 - one didn't pass his o/w checkout dives. Probably a combination of immaturity and attitude - he hadn't made any new friends by the end of the course....

They're PADI so likely offer the e-learning reducing necessary trips to the shop if you decide to certify with them locally. I'm not PADI but when they first started the e-learning you booked it using a shop supplied code so they could access your records - not sure if that's still the case.

They metntion Beaver Lake - regularly mentioned in the Midwest forum here.

In their webite header they show Adabtable Diving - something you should get more details on.

They're a Scubapro Platinum reseller so don't be surprised if they push the gear. It's possible due to their marketing agreement that it's all they sell in certain gear categories. Nothing wrong with it but it's often more expensive.

hth

Comments on what I read on the website - it looks like an option.

What you really want to do is set up a time to meet the instructor though and discuss your plans/needs with him/her. Or a phone call when it's convenient for them. Not all instructors work at the shop - my 2 instructor friends don't - just get referrals from the shop they're affiliated with.

It might be good for both of you to do a Discover Dive b4 you commit to any sort of travel/training - both to ensure you can handle the gear and that you want to dive. I certified in a group of about 10-12 - one didn't pass his o/w checkout dives. Probably a combination of immaturity and attitude - he hadn't made any new friends by the end of the course....

They're PADI so likely offer the e-learning reducing necessary trips to the shop if you decide to certify with them locally. I'm not PADI but when they first started the e-learning you booked it using a shop supplied code so they could access your records - not sure if that's still the case.

They metntion Beaver Lake - regularly mentioned in the Midwest forum here.

In their webite header they show Adabtable Diving - something you should get more details on.

They're a Scubapro Platinum reseller so don't be surprised if they push the gear. It's possible due to their marketing agreement that it's all they sell in certain gear categories. Nothing wrong with it but it's often more expensive.

hth
I will definitely contact them about meeting with an instructor

Yeah that is one big reason why I wanted to the Discovery SCUBA first, worst case we are out $80 and an evening

I looks like when I click the eLearning link on their website it has a box with their info in it so I should be able to do it at home, but I will ask about that

Beaver Lake if anything might be the biggest issue here. Beaver Lake is about 5 hours that might be an issue.

Yeah the Adaptability diving thing I will also ask about.

Yeah i just hope they are not the kind of outfit that requires us to get our gear specifically from them, They apparently offer a student discount so I guess it depends if that would make it worth it.

You'll find that most shops offer mask/fins/boots/snorkel packages as part of class. Compare prices and weigh it for yourself - unless you want something they don't stock. I personally would - and did buy mine from my shop - that way I knew it fit.

Margins are pretty thin on instruction so they have to get something - besides likely promoting buying all your gear from them later.

Since they are Scubapro Platinum - the price is and will be the same everywhere - many brands are similar. The only thing you save ordering online might be the local tax.

So it seems the owner is also an instructor and she is at the shop most days, we will see about going there when we get a chance.

So yesterday my sister and I went to the dive shop to talk with the owner. Had a great time. She doesn't see any reason why we can't dive as long as our doctor signs off. She agrees we should start with a Discover SCUBA first to see if we can handle the gear. While we were there they showed the rental gear I asked my sister to try and pick up the regulator with her right hand and had difficulty, so it looks like we might need to get her a left handed regulator, I think they recommend this onehttp://playgroundds.evecloudhost.com/Shop/Product/Mk2-R195-12-295-000/ProductDetails.aspx . Also they work with Prescription Dive Masks, so we just go through them to get our prescription put in our masks. So now looks to be getting our ducks in a row and do the Discovery SCUBA thing and see about going from there.

The Mk2 is a venerable Scubapro design that's been updated since the 60's. The EVO update adds better cold water performance.

I'ts a classic downstream which means even if it fails, it should deliver enough air to surface.

There's a lot of left hand reversible 2nd stages out there also - many either have a plug or sometimes an adjustment dial that you can have switched over.

She can either move the octo to the right - reversing it also since you want the mouthpiece to be above the exhaust port in use or buy an ambidextrous octo like the Mares - it swivels 180 degrees and exhausts on he end.

A Mk2 is the low end of a premium brand. One future issue might be that it only has 1 HP port so you can have a pressure gauge or an Air Integrated wrist computer transmitter but not both. Or an air integrated console computer like an Oceanic ProPlus 2/3 also works since they get the pressure from the hose.

Not a big deal - it's how I dive. I use an SPG on a hose and a non-AI wrist computer for depth, time, deco limits and safety stop timing. The Zoop mentioned earlier in this thread is the later version of mine.

You can also hang an R195 on just about any Scubapro 1st stage made.

So her left side is her good side? If you go with a standard inflator - on most the button is harder to push as it has air pressure to overcome.
Sometimes the spring can be modified to reduce this..

Or buying an I3 equipped Aqualung BC solves that problem - the lever is easy to move - and on the left.

Sounds like you've made a good start. It's good to have a local resource for questios/demo's etc. And to get your hands on stuff to try out. Some shops have demo's you can try in their pool - if they have oe...

The Mk2 is a venerable Scubapro design that's been updated since the 60's. The EVO update adds better cold water performance.

I'ts a classic downstream which means even if it fails, it should deliver enough air to surface.

There's a lot of left hand reversible 2nd stages out there also - many either have a plug or sometimes an adjustment dial that you can have switched over.

She can either move the octo to the right - reversing it also since you want the mouthpiece to be above the exhaust port in use or buy an ambidextrous octo like the Mares - it swivels 180 degrees and exhausts on he end.

A Mk2 is the low end of a premium brand. One future issue might be that it only has 1 HP port so you can have a pressure gauge or an Air Integrated wrist computer transmitter but not both. Or an air integrated console computer like an Oceanic ProPlus 2/3 also works since they get the pressure from the hose.

Not a big deal - it's how I dive. I use an SPG on a hose and a non-AI wrist computer for depth, time, deco limits and safety stop timing. The Zoop mentioned earlier in this thread is the later version of mine.

You can also hang an R195 on just about any Scubapro 1st stage made.

So her left side is her good side? If you go with a standard inflator - on most the button is harder to push as it has air pressure to overcome.
Sometimes the spring can be modified to reduce this..

Or buying an I3 equipped Aqualung BC solves that problem - the lever is easy to move - and on the left.

Sounds like you've made a good start. It's good to have a local resource for questios/demo's etc. And to get your hands on stuff to try out. Some shops have demo's you can try in their pool - if they have oe...
yeah if we don't end up going to Florida for our classes I might see about getting our own gear, but that really depends on how "in to it" we both are. i would rather not drop almost $4000 on gear for both of us and maybe dive once every few years. One thing they did mentioned at the dive shop that I kinda agree with we can is see about getting our own gear and use it for our classes,that way since it is looking like sis needs like a flipped reg or modified inflator it is her's and they don't need to worry about changing it for someone else.

As far what brand we are getting, not sure we might look at The Playground for our first gear just because we can go there and try it on to make sure it fits right instead of getting something kinda blindly online and hoping they have a good return policy and for service I don't to worry about shipping my gear somewhere for servicing and hope it makes it to and from in one piece (or running around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for [istert manufacturer] service center at the place I will be diving the day before my first dive hoping they have parts and time to do it).

For gear, with good care, how long will they be useable?

I wish the dive shop was a bit closer, it is over an hour drive. Also they don't have their own pool sadly, they do there Discovery SCUBA and confined water stuff at a local (for them) public pool.

For gear, with good care, how long will they be useable?
For hard stuff - literally decades. I bought my first regs in 1981, my 2nd set (Atomic B1) in 2003 and a better model (Atomic T2) in 2005-6 My buddy still dives the B1 today. I will likely never buy another reg.

BC - I've had 2 since 1983. I bought the Zeagle Ranger I still have around 2004-5. I've since replaced the inflator hose for a better one ($50)

There's no advantage to not buying Scubapro from the Playground - but the Playground will service it under warranty either way since they're a Platinum dealer. The warranty is not transferable on used gear though. Scubapro went to a 2 year service interval some years ago. On SB - when you see posts about MK108/9's still in use - those are vintage 60's.

At least two of the SP models currently sold (updated to EVO's) were options when I started diving in 1981 - my shop was an SP dealer and I remember wanting one. Instead I bought Dacor which was merged into Mares sometime after 2004 and parts became scarce. If you buy used, don't buy Dacor on ebay.

Recently larger companies have been acquiring multiple brands. Johnson Outdoors owns Scubapro for about a decade - also a couple other dive brands. Huish Outdoors owns Atomic, Zeagle, Bare, Liquivision,(discomtinued) Oceanic/Hollisand discontinued Aeris which used to be cheaper Oceanic. Aqualung owns Apeks and Pelagic (computers). Probably most will be around in another decade or more.

I pay about $90 about every 2 years to get my regs serviced. I like having it done locally since if an issue comes up it's often possible to get it looked at overnight. REG-TECH is an authourized repair center for the following manufacures, scubapro, tusa, atomic, dacor, poseidon, apex, zeagle, oceanic, beuchat, cressi, oms, in Chicago would be an alternative for you -Or Scubatoys in Dallas with overnight shipping.

Most regs will go longer between service than the mfr's recommend. A $30 IP gauge will extend that. The only downside is some brands require service to stay within their "lifetime" warranty period. An Aqualung dealer actually tracks it.

White silicon masks darken slightly over time. Mine is still as pliable a decade later.My fins are at least that old,

Westuits are probably the most replaceable - neoprene loses effectiveness over years/sun exposure. I don't dive where I need one but my buddy has torn the leg out of one, and had the stitching on another one rip out - he's pretty careful donning it. One was his problem, the other the shop replaced within the warranty period.

My BC saw one service a year after I bought it since it was included. Not since. Changing the inflator was 5mins. and two zipties. Inflators are cheaper to replace than to pay to service - except in the case of the I3 since Aqualung only allows dealers to service it - mostly by controlling parts availability. No idea what that costs...

Good to know they last a while and are supported a long time by their companies, I am a computer and stuff here has a usable life of maybe 8-9 years if you got something super high end at the time and if something breaks after a couple years good luck getting parts.

I think SP offers a parts for life program if we get the main SCUBA unit (reg, octo, BCD, gages/ computer) stuff through them and I just have to pay labor as long as I bring it in every two years.

If we get colored silicone masks do they still have a yellowing issue. My sister saw pink mask their ( I think the Trinidad 3) that she liked and I saw a larger green mask (I forgot the name) looked cool.
Also long as the fins don't get broken from mishadding or something we should not need to replace them?

As far as Chicago, That is a almost 8 hours away so I doubt I would save anything factoring gas and maybe a hotel room for the night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom