I am disappointed in myself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a 7mm suit and can hover at the SS with no air in my BC and 500psi in my tank. I am able to make a slow "controlled" ascent to the surface after the SS with no problem. Never ever, have I not been in control. The neoprene factor does not come into play here gentleman, if the weighting is right. It "can" be done.
I think she was using rental gear not well known to her, is much less experienced, perhaps overweighted, etc - so while you may well be able to do it, I don't think it'd apply to this Close Call case.

Personally I like to be able to sink fast if needed at the end, in case of a boat, jetski, needy buddy, etc so I am going to be slightly negative at 15 ft; if my BC fails like hers, my weights and more expensive pouches are dropping. DAN reimburses for equipment lost in dive accidents.

This is my own gear purchased last August. Riptide Grace BC. My instructor took it with him. It sounds like i used the wrong terminology. I'm sorry for the confusion. After rinsing after every dive I do inflate it so the sides don't stick together. Although I do not inflate in completely. I'm hoping to get some answers tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I don't think you mean the inflator hose came loose. You probably men the elbo, correct?
As for the instructor ditching the weights. Over kill, maybe, but the prudent thing. Did say had to kick to stay afloat.

It could easily be the inflator hose. I actually tore mine in half at one of the "rings" once. They apparently didn't mold the hose quite thick enough in one spot.

The instructor ditching weights was 100% correct, since with no inflator hose, the BC will not hold air on the surface, meaning that the only thing keeping the OP on the surface was treading water.

Terry

It could easily be the inflator hose. I actually tore mine in half at one of the "rings" once. They apparently didn't mold the hose quite thick enough in one spot.

The instructor ditching weights was 100% correct, since with no inflator hose, the BC will not hold air on the surface, meaning that the only thing keeping the OP on the surface was treading water.

Terry

You're talking corrugated hose, as I think so was OP. I said "elbow" to see if she would recognize the difference. She kept refereing to inflator hose and even LPIH.

The red arrow is exactly the place.
Ok, TY - I'd call that serious gear failure and ditching weights the best way to preserve life - which is why we have ditchable weights and teach the skill - that maybe needs to be practiced more often.
This is my own gear purchased last August. Riptide Grace BC. My instructor took it with him. It sounds like i used the wrong terminology. I'm sorry for the confusion. After rinsing after every dive I do inflate it so the sides don't stick together. Although I do not inflate in completely. I'm hoping to get some answers tomorrow. I'll let you know.
TY for the additional information. That he took it with him supports my suspicion of serious gear failure, not just a loose connection. I used to overinflate mine in storage; just inflate enough to keep the bladder sides apart - ask them for demonstration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom