I am back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you need are more force fin users openly discussing the fins, people need to know how they perform in todays diving styles, like how the excellerating force fin does frog kicking, back kicking low speed maneuvering etc.

Just to add my meaningless thoughts to this.

As a technical diver, reviews like this have scared me off. tl;dr: Force Fins are magical at flutter, with the feeling of zero resistance, but any side-to-side motion actually does result in minimal resistance (and water movement).

I live in frog kick. I back kick in doubles and a stage all the time. So the idea of a fin that reduces the effectiveness of the kicks I use constantly for a kick I actively avoid is a non-starter. I actively avoid flutter not for issues of muscles or propulsion performance, but for visibility: I am trying to avoid pushing water up and down, which is where flutter pushes it (with conventional fins, anyway). Even if much of the water goes backward, that up-and-down still creates issues.

However, if that review and its conclusions are wrong, if Force Fins *can* perform within a decent margin of ScubaPro JetFins, I would be much more interested. Without that confidence, though, they’re not going to be interesting.

Now, should the hard-core tech diver market be interesting to Force Fins? Probably not. We’re a tiny segment of a small market. So I’m not expecting anyone to put any effort into wooing us. But if the material is already there, I wish it would be more available.

As a technical diver, reviews like this have scared me off. Tl;dr: Force Fins are magical at flutter, with the feeling of zero resistance, but any side-to-side motion actually does result in minimal resistance (and water movement).

I live in frog kick. I back kick in doubles and a stage all the time. So the idea of a fin that reduces the effectiveness of the kicks I use constantly for a kick I actively avoid is a non-starter. I actively avoid flutter not for issues of muscles or propulsion performance, but for visibility: I am trying to avoid pushing water up and down, which is where flutter pushes it (with conventional fins, anyway). Even if much of the water goes backward, that up-and-down still creates issues.

However, if that review and its conclusions are wrong, if Force Fins *can* perform within a decent margin of ScubaPro JetFins, I would be much more interested. Without that confidence, though, they’re not going to be interesting.

Now, should the hard-core tech diver market be interesting to Force Fins? Probably not. We’re a tiny segment of a small market. So I’m not expecting anyone to put any effort into wooing us. But if the material is already there, I wish it would be more available.
Tmassey, Thank you for your intelligence on this subject. I like to respond to your thoughts. It's time to clear the air and share why I made so many different designs over the years. I listened to the best divers and followed their advice on the pros and cons of my Award-winning designs. (Time Magazine Innovation of the Year, OPS) Somehow the Original Force Fin gets pigeon-holed and it's time to stop pecking around. A sunny day here in Seattle, so off to Farmer's market.. Back shortly.
stuff045.jpg-fw.jpg
foil_fin.jpg
2006034-055-fw.png
flying_force.jpg

As a technical diver, reviews like this have scared me off. tl;dr: Force Fins are magical at flutter, with the feeling of zero resistance, but any side-to-side motion actually does result in minimal resistance (and water movement).

I have not dropped the ball on you over the Frog Kick. Got busy with several Projects, so let's make it quick. Not to get into a debate over the Original Force Fin design, which some Frog kick just fine, but for others like yourself, I took the task on for Captain Billy Deans, who liked the original but wanted a better Frog-kicking fin and could handle the extra load of tanks. UK diver Kevin Gurr is also a big fan of the Excellerating Force Fin. The Hockey fin seems to be another winner. But to be honest with you this subject needs
DSC_0699.jpg
ff-49.jpg
ff-50.jpg
more time to produce a blog. At one point I made a OPS model in which you turn foiled blades to Frog Kick and not twist your legs. More later, thanks for your interest. Good subject.
ff-31.jpg

Is the excellerator a better frog-kicking fin than the extra force?
Yes, with the scoop blade, it's better than the Extra Force Fin. But our dealer Steve Bowles from Ohio, loves his Extra and only frog kicks. I plan to ask him for some video footage. But when he and his wife were diving here, I had no idea that's the only kick they have used with my Force Fins for over 25 years. In the end, I made the OPS with the crown blade which allowed you to change the blade angle to the desired angle, so you did not have to wear your legs out. Those round knobs allow you with hands/gloves on to turn the blades.
l-26.jpg-fw.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9121-fw.jpg
    IMG_9121-fw.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 29
Working out future details for Force Fin Production. Our Pennsylvania Plant has 1,200 pounds of RB-895 Poly-Urethane ready to cast Force Fins next week. That's around 600 pairs. Good news for our customers who have been waiting for orders to be filled. So I would suggest purchasing a pair of, Excellerating, Extra Force, Flying Force Fins, and Hockey Force Fins since we plan to cut back on these models. Times are changing rapidly in production here in America, so we have to be keen with our operations. Thank you all and remember Scubaboard members it's BETTERWET for a 15% discount. God Bless you all. Love, Susanne
DSC_0748-fw.jpg
and Bob

You never really think about something till you might lose it. Susanne and I had a good laugh last night, Force Fin made it again over hurdles. It's a real challenge to manufacture nowadays. 600 pairs of Force Fins sounds big, but when we were rolling it was 200 pairs out the door each day for years. From my first dive to today, thank you all for keeping us going. Have a great weekend and God Bless you all.
scan-7-2018001.png-fw.png

Our first Force Fin Production was in 1981 in Santa Barbara, California. Skateboard wheel manufacture right across the street from my shop. Here I was spraying up my molds without a mask. After that day I wore a special mask to protect me from the silicone spray—nasty
h-154.jpg
job with super hot molds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom