hypothetically...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Lets say that hypothetically, *someone* might have over-tightened the nuts on a set of diverite bands. So now, theoretically there is a slight curve to the inside face of the band plates.

Is this theoretically a problem? could this *someone* flatten the plates back out? MIGHT this affect the next set of tanks I, er, uh, *someone* double up? :shakehead

Or should this person not worry about it?

Comrade stroke

I attached a photo. hopefully it shows...

Attachments

• bentring.JPG
    bentring.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 48
It's probably a mortal sin in someone's book, but as long as the welds are still solid and the bands are structurally sound, I would not sweat it.

Using a lock washer and stopping as soon as it compresses will prevent future transgressions.

From the picture it does not look that bad....I have seen worse in my time...I would give them a try again, and cut back on those Wheaties!!

texdiveguy:
From the picture it does not look that bad....I have seen worse in my time...I would give them a try again, and cut back on those Wheaties!!

Yeah, that's what I get for watching tv while working on scuba gear.

For those not familiar with this brand of band... the plates have 4 parts. Each end of the band ring, and 2 seperate plates. All 4 are TIG welded across the top and bottom. The bend line where the ring becomes part of the plate is still flat on both sides. It's just the one, inside part of the plate end that has bowed. Hopefully I have described that clear enough.

My gut tells me that it's still fine, but I wanted some different opinions before I have they put on a new set of doubles.

Comrade stroken the wrench

fire_diver:
Yeah, that's what I get for watching tv while working on scuba gear.

For those not familiar with this brand of band... the plates have 4 parts. Each end of the band ring, and 2 seperate plates. All 4 are TIG welded across the top and bottom. The bend line where the ring becomes part of the plate is still flat on both sides. It's just the one, inside part of the plate end that has bowed. Hopefully I have described that clear enough.

My gut tells me that it's still fine, but I wanted some different opinions before I have they put on a new set of doubles.

Comrade stroken the wrench

I use Dive Rite bands....you are still good to go.

Back
Top Bottom