Hyperventilating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTWarrenG,
This is only true for a balanced reg. Some regs breath way nicer than others at all presures.

shellbird,
Yes. They probably did. Just wasn't sure what you meant by "built".

thanks guys for sharing your knowledge. They did teach this in class but at the time it didn't seem forefront...

I was wondering about the VIVA adjustment. I had it on max due to the surge and my being a novice and all. What are your experiences with it? I was wondering if maybe it was backwards and instead of on max it was on min (although clearly set to max)

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but if I am really breathing deaply (I have big lungs from playing a horn when I was a kid, and I can breath deap.), the regulator really isn't very good. When I get on the surface, 99 times out of 100, I switch to my snorkle. One of the main reasons I have always kept my snorkle when many people lose theirs after the get some experience. When I had the panic attack, on the surface, I switched to my snorkle, I could breath as deap as I wanted without feeling like I was sucking air through a long straw. It helped. I have a Scubapro G200 regulator and in normal situations, I have never had any problems with it, but If I have a surface swim to the boat, I use my snorkle. My snorkle is just a curved pipe with a mouthpiece. Most people today don't know how to use one correctly and are convinced into buying one of those fancy (expensive) ones.

I did go to the snorkel but at that point, well, I was huffing a puffing. Guess panic will do that. The thing is, by that time, I couldn't even get enough air through the snorkel because I was in hyperventilation mode... Argh.. Thanks for sharing your stories, I really value all the input in this. I am going to keep diving and hopefully resolve the issue, hopefully it won't happen again. All my dives have been in crappy weather and seas, can't wait for the sunny day, calm water dive, I'll be in heaven... :rolleyes:

Hey shell -- kudos for you for sticking with it. We all have "challenging" dives once in a while...new gear that feels unfamiliar, navigation mistakes, etc., etc.

Bottom line -- with more experience, things will feel "right", your skills will improve and your comfort level will increase exponentially.

Those sunny, calm days out here in Boston are coming....at least I keep telling myself that....;-)

Keep it up, perserverence is the key to most things in life.

Good luck and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom