Hydros pro Replacement shoulder strap possible? Or send in for repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They will fix it, don't worry. It is not complicated. The 'updated' versions have a red ring around the shoulder valve :)

Probably you won't even have to pay, let us know!
One of my regular dive buddies and I had both of our Hydros Pros experience this exact failure. We both purchased them when they first came out. The repair wasn't covered under warranty, and we had to pay $75 to have both shoulder straps repaired. This was with our local SP dealer which is a different shop than where we purchased them. The shop where we purchased them has closed since we purchased them.

One of my regular dive buddies and I had both of our Hydros Pros experience this exact failure. We both purchased them when they first came out. The repair wasn't covered under warranty, and we had to pay $75 to have both shoulder straps repaired. This was with our local SP dealer which is a different shop than where we purchased them. The shop where we purchased them has closed since we purchased them.

In cases like this, you should contact Scubapro Customer Service directly.

The issue was known and covered under warranty. It seems to me that the dealer you visited just decided to make a few dollars omitting that... sad but (probably) true.

This seems really predatory.
I would contact Scubapro directly and let them know about this. If the shop that charged you is an authorized dealer and others are saying that this should have been free and indeed was supposed to be covered under warranty then something stinks.

I know this is an older post, but my Hydros is now 3 years old. I dive around 450 time a year. It's taken quite a beating. I'm in the water all day and it's really held up. When they first came out, there were some issues with the shoulder straps. Now they are solid.

I know this is an older post, but my Hydros is now 3 years old. I dive around 450 time a year. It's taken quite a beating. I'm in the water all day and it's really held up. When they first came out, there were some issues with the shoulder straps. Now they are solid.
They seem to have addressed the problem with a thin nylon strap added to the shoulder straps to take some of the stress off of those tear points, if yours start to show signs of failure I would expect them the replace them with the newer ones BUT you will have to go through a cooperative authorized dealer.

when they first came out with the Seawing Nova fins there was a bunch of hinge failures and getting them replaced was a real pain in the rear but it didn’t take long for them to realize it was a real issue and once the dealers knew that they wouldn’t be left holding the bag (broken fin) exchange was fast and simple.

If you got this from a Scubapro dealer I am stunned that they are unable to find a way to order the replacement straps for you. This is Scubapro dealer 101 level stuff here. There is a Dealer Technical Update specific to the Hydros Shoulder Straps. There is also a Shoulder Strap Replacement Work Instruction document that all Scubapro Dealers have access to.

They can order a V3 shoulder assembly kit.

Hydros Mens S, M (Midi) - 21.793.201
Hydros Men's L, XL/XXL (Maxi) - 21.793.200

There have been 3 versions of the straps. I have seen a lot of tearing in the original version. I have not seen any failures of the updated Rev 3 version to date.

What has changed with the V3 straps is below:

Changes to Shoulder Strap
Physical Dimensions of Hinge increased.
Injection Gate location moved to avoid weld line on the Hinge section.

Changes to Hinge Guide
Replaces Retaining Bar.
Controls the angle of the Shoulder Strap Webbing, preventing it from slipping on the main Hinge Bolt and ensuring that the primary load is always taken by the Webbing and not the Monprene Pad, even when the tensile force is at an angle to the backpack.
Wondering when these revisions were rolled in? Specifically the 3rd version.

Wondering when these revisions were rolled in? Specifically the 3rd version.
Version 1 Shoulder Straps - BCs prodcused July and August 2016
Version 2 Shoulder Straps - BCs produced December 2016 to January 2018
Version 3 Shoulder Straps - BCs produced February 2018 onwards.

If you got this from a Scubapro dealer I am stunned that they are unable to find a way to order the replacement straps for you. This is Scubapro dealer 101 level stuff here. There is a Dealer Technical Update specific to the Hydros Shoulder Straps. There is also a Shoulder Strap Replacement Work Instruction document that all Scubapro Dealers have access to.

They can order a V3 shoulder assembly kit.

Hydros Mens S, M (Midi) - 21.793.201
Hydros Men's L, XL/XXL (Maxi) - 21.793.200

There have been 3 versions of the straps. I have seen a lot of tearing in the original version. I have not seen any failures of the updated Rev 3 version to date.

What has changed with the V3 straps is below:

Changes to Shoulder Strap
Physical Dimensions of Hinge increased.
Injection Gate location moved to avoid weld line on the Hinge section.

Changes to Hinge Guide
Replaces Retaining Bar.
Controls the angle of the Shoulder Strap Webbing, preventing it from slipping on the main Hinge Bolt and ensuring that the primary load is always taken by the Webbing and not the Monprene Pad, even when the tensile force is at an angle to the backpack.

Sorry to bring this old post up but I don't suppose you know which shoulder strap goes with which size hydros pro. My partners hydros is a 2017 womens medium.
Would I need the mini shoulder straps?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom