Hydros pro Replacement shoulder strap possible? Or send in for repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Hydros but def going to keep an eye on the shoulder straps.

Just use some common sense. Folks are used to pull the BCD from the shoulder straps instead of the integrated handle. Monprene is rubber so eventually, if summited to increased weight at the wrong angle, it will eventually break.

The Hydros Pro rocks.

If you got this from a Scubapro dealer I am stunned that they are unable to find a way to order the replacement straps for you. This is Scubapro dealer 101 level stuff here. There is a Dealer Technical Update specific to the Hydros Shoulder Straps. There is also a Shoulder Strap Replacement Work Instruction document that all Scubapro Dealers have access to.

They can order a V3 shoulder assembly kit.

Hydros Mens S, M (Midi) - 21.793.201
Hydros Men's L, XL/XXL (Maxi) - 21.793.200

There have been 3 versions of the straps. I have seen a lot of tearing in the original version. I have not seen any failures of the updated Rev 3 version to date.

What has changed with the V3 straps is below:

Changes to Shoulder Strap
Physical Dimensions of Hinge increased.
Injection Gate location moved to avoid weld line on the Hinge section.

Changes to Hinge Guide
Replaces Retaining Bar.
Controls the angle of the Shoulder Strap Webbing, preventing it from slipping on the main Hinge Bolt and ensuring that the primary load is always taken by the Webbing and not the Monprene Pad, even when the tensile force is at an angle to the backpack.

Yep, that's why I buy from established high quality dive equipment manufacturers such as Scubapro and Atomic instead of miniature mini-mes mfg.; service, quality and stability!

A lot of wailers of gloom and doom without substance...

1657712953583.png

Just use some common sense. Folks are used to pull the BCD from the shoulder straps instead of the integrated handle. Monprene is rubber so eventually, if summited to increased weight at the wrong angle, it will eventually break.

The Hydros Pro rocks.
I always show the boat crew the handle during set up just in case I need to hand off my rig getting into the boat. I love that handle so much I put one on my bpw.

i think i'm taking my hydros to isla providencia in august.

I always show the boat crew the handle during set up just in case I need to hand off my rig getting into the boat. I love that handle so much I put one on my bpw.

i think i'm taking my hydros to isla providencia in august.
The new Scubapro Backplate has an integrated handle as well. The handle is very convenient with single tank configurations and their new STA is also very nice.

1657713482783.png

The new Scubapro Backplate has an integrated handle as well. The handle is very convenient with single tank configurations and their new STA is also very nice.

View attachment 733021

Have you used it yourself? I am wondering about the version with adjustable shoulder straps for single tank, how stable and easy to adjust is it?

Have you used it yourself? I am wondering about the version with adjustable shoulder straps for single tank, how stable and easy to adjust is it?
To be honest, I am not too impressed with the adjustable harness (TEK LOC buckles). It does have some adjustment, but I think those types of adjustments are better served for a harness with a chest strap and a shoulder strap that is more vertical (DiveRite TransPac design). The Pro Harness follows a traditional harness path and that buckle ends up under your arm pit. I can see it being useful if you have limited mobility. I will eventually replace the webbing with a standard single piece continuous webbing.

Scubapro makes a big deal about their new webbing, but I personally find it too supple. I have tried different webbing and I find that I like Halcyon webbing the best.

How many people you know that have this problem? What is the percentage of BC's sold that had this problem? 0.0001%?

I had about 150 dives on my hydros pro when I noticed that area started getting worn out.
No ones ever handled my bcd.
I only lifted it from the integrated handle.

The hinges wore out from the weight of the cylinder.

Nice BCD, but not keen on buying spares every so often.

tape a $1000 BC. LOL. ?????? 300 dives is not much. Maybe a year (or a half ) of use for an active professional.

Scuba Pro has made some very hardy BC's in the past, but the more I hear about this model, the less I think I would like it - assuming I had that kind of bucks to blow on a BC..

Other than this one small issue, I LOVE my Hydros. Its a fantastic BC.

If you got this from a Scubapro dealer I am stunned that they are unable to find a way to order the replacement straps for you. This is Scubapro dealer 101 level stuff here. There is a Dealer Technical Update specific to the Hydros Shoulder Straps. There is also a Shoulder Strap Replacement Work Instruction document that all Scubapro Dealers have access to.

They can order a V3 shoulder assembly kit.

Hydros Mens S, M (Midi) - 21.793.201
Hydros Men's L, XL/XXL (Maxi) - 21.793.200

There have been 3 versions of the straps. I have seen a lot of tearing in the original version. I have not seen any failures of the updated Rev 3 version to date.

What has changed with the V3 straps is below:

Changes to Shoulder Strap
Physical Dimensions of Hinge increased.
Injection Gate location moved to avoid weld line on the Hinge section.

Changes to Hinge Guide
Replaces Retaining Bar.
Controls the angle of the Shoulder Strap Webbing, preventing it from slipping on the main Hinge Bolt and ensuring that the primary load is always taken by the Webbing and not the Monprene Pad, even when the tensile force is at an angle to the backpack.

thanks. Im just not sure how motivated the manager was to try and figure this out for me honestly. He doesnt care for me much I dont think.

But good information to know so thank you. I will bring this to their attention.

Contact Scubapro, the model was revised in 2018/2019 and they fixed those kind of issues.
They might replace it for free, they did sent to me 2 new D-Mask lenses when I scratched them while trying to defog them (using only soap, no abrasives).

Mine was bought early 2018, but was likely an older version that was in stock. I got it as a un-used floor model for only 700 bucks. So I cant really complain. :)

I already sent it in to ScubaPro this morning so hope they either fix it, or send me one that has the issue resolved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom