hydrooptix mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen this mask on another diver that went with us on a dive boat. The mask is to say the least strange looking. But the woman that had it loved it. I just don't think I could put something that ugly on my face. I'm ugly enough already I don't need any help from that mask

G'day from Down Under!!!

I have to say that it is amazing how one iddy biddy mask can cause such a fuss...lol. I must say as a 20/20 diver... I LURV MY MEG!!! The mask is awesome and the view is astounding. I don't care how ugly I look... under the suface I'm the best looking "fish" around..ha ha!

But Seriously, I am impressed with the Mask and I don't have an issue putting contacts in to achieve the view with the mask offers... heck, I might get Laser to become near sighted! (just kidding guys) The mask is getting a huge following down under and considering we all dive to see things (that's why I haven't seen to many blind divers...anyway it's murder on the guide dogs!) it is understandable with what the mask brings to the table!

It's been quite some time since I originated this thread, and I have only now finally used the mask on a real dive. Just back from Coz.

The mask, for me, was fantastic. I have -5.25, -5.75 eyes and had the least blurry vision from this mask compared to any prescription mask I've used. Of course, that's not to mention the incredible field of view. I also have a small enough nose bridge that the fit was fine. I initially experienced the mask flooding alluded to by previous posters, but found this very easy to manage, and it seemed to get less as it was used more. Clearing the mask is as easy as breathing out of your nose (with a tilt of the head back to get the water properly situated to vent) and you end up doing this for squeeze anyway, so it's not a big deal. I packed the monocle thing in a bc pocket but never needed it.

Got a few comments on the "bug eyed" look, but it's a small price to pay.
I'm not going back to a flat pane mask anytime soon.

-Simon

I bought one of the Hydrooptix lenses for our last dive boat trip in Belize, and while the view out of the mask was stunning, I had no end of problems with fogging.

I'm convinced that it's just something silly that I'm doing wrong, but as of yet I'm not sure what that is. The instructions simply state to just put a small amount of the included de-fog on the lens and rinse it *once*. However, sometimes it seemed like a single rinse wasn't going to be enough (there'd be wavy distortions from the gel... still too think maybe, or just uneven?)

One problem I think I'm having on the dive boat is that the mask rinse bucket is usually full of dilluted soapy water, and I think that's rinsing the de-fog off, or at least maybe causing part of the problem.

The other issue is that any minor leak at all that causes water to get into the mask then also seems to rinse off the defog and I start fogging up again. Spending most of the dive trying to swirl water around to defog is decidedly unfun.

So, any advice from other folks with one of these things that isn't having any fogging problems? I think towards the end of the last dive I had mostly solved the leak issue (didn't have it on tightly enough), but I never was able to get the included de-fog to work very well. Any hints would be great!

Thanks,
Kenneth

The main reason for the rinse instruction is so that the product can even itself out slightly due to the partial dissolving of the unevenness of finger application. So the trick is, don't vigorously rinse. Just a bit of water swirled around quickly should do the trick -- don't leave it in there so long that you dissolve too much of the stuff.

Kdyke! When I read your post I thought I had written it! I too took my Hydro optix mask to Belize and loved the view so much I would try anything to resolve it.

As it turns out I found the resolution! A friend of mine "Alex" who is a dive master that works with Frenchie's Diving on Caye Caulker handed me a little white plastic squeeze bottle. It was an old bottle and the label was long rubbed off. He went on to say. Try it, rub, rinse but don't rub clean. That stuff fixed my problem. I went to no fogging at all in a mask that had almost forced me into quitting! I have about 20 dives on my hydro optix mask and only that last 4 of them were without fogging!

Later on that week Alex finally came clean. The stuff he put in the bottle was V05 shampoo. He said it works wonders on any mask that fogs. He was right. I have since dumped out that crap they put in that little defog bottle and rinsed out their bottle. Now I use that V05 and every dive is a fog free one! Try it!

Randall

I got my mask when they first came out and had problems with fogging. When I used the Sea Gold Gel that came with the mask, it helped quite a bit. There were three secrets to getting the stuff to work, one was to clean the mask well with non-abrasive liquid soap, the second was to allow the gel to dry, and the third was to not rinse too much before the dive. Less breathing out through my nose also helped. I just recently tried a dive with straight baby shampoo (slightly dry) and it stayed clear the whole dive. Both the gel and the shampoo made the view a little blurry so I'm going to try a 50/50 solution of shampoo and water next.

The mask also leaked for me at first but I found that my problem was probably sun block. Since I am folicle challenged, I try to protect my "egg" with sun block. I also would put some on my beautiful face. After discussing my leaky mask with some friends, they suggested less sun block. With no sun block on I have not had the leaking that I did before. I also try not to break the seal between my face and the mask by not breathing out my nose so much.

I love the view that the mask gives - it's well worth any trouble that I've had!

I've seen several demos for the Hydrooptix max and am still uncomfortable with the thought of wearing corrective lenses while I dive.
1) sticking something in my eyes if I don't have to. Dr's in general advise against it.
2) needing glasses to counter the lenses between dives
3) having to use the cover when asseding/descending to accomodate for the distortion
4) difficulty in clearing the max - larger volume to clear

I know the vision is supposed to be fantastic but it does seem like a lot of draw backs.

Alex

dasalomon:
1) sticking something in my eyes if I don't have to. Dr's in general advise against it.
3) having to use the cover when asseding/descending to accomodate for the distortion

I know the vision is supposed to be fantastic but it does seem like a lot of draw backs.

Alex

I just bought a HO mask - my vision is naturally +3.5, so I usually wear -3.5 contacts. With the HO, I can skip the contacts, and have perfect vision underwater (I played with it in the pool for about an hour last week). So I'm the opposite of you - however, I do have plenty of experience with contacts and glasses, so...

1) - contacts take a little getting used to, but once you do they're no big deal. Some of us poor myopians are stuck with them 16 hours a day our whole lives; as long as I take them out at night, my eyes feel fine. A few hours every now and then for diving will be annoying at first, but shouldn't screw up your eyeballs!

2) Yep, glasses are a pain. I actually plan on usually popping my lenses in and out between dives, because I hate glasses so much. (But, I've gotten really good at contact removal/replacement - you might indeed be stuck with glasses) We'll see how long I stick to that plan, though - glasses would definitely be simpler!

3) I wouldn't bother with the cover. +3 or 4 vision isn't so bad that you can't find a boat! I'll probably bring the monocle along in case I REALLY want to see something in that much detail, but unless you need to be able to read signs at a distance, it's no big deal.

4) This was my biggest concern with the mask - I HATE clearing; it's always been my weakest skill (sad, I know). I have to say, the hydrooptix mask was WAY, WAY easier to clear than my small-volume flat mask. Those two purge valves at the bottoms of the eyes? They actually work! It totally blew my mind; I could clear it twice on one breath, and with just the lightest tough to the top of my mask. Really cool.

I can't wait to get this thing in the actual ocean - I'll be reporting back on it next week; its virgin trip is July 5! I'm so excited I've actually been DREAMING about using the darn thing.

G'day Alex. I see you have some valid fears about putting contacts in as a 20/20 vision diver. Let me just say, I am a 20/20 vision diver and love using the mask. I am an instructor and lead dives in the sharktank at the Melbourne Aquarium.

If you see an Optomirtist and especially one that understands the mask (DecPros) you will find that putting in contacts for only the duration of the dive will not be a problem. As far as wearing glasses b/w dives... I now know what divers that normally wear glasses feel like. It is no major deal.

The coverlense is only needed if you feel it necessary to use from when you get up from your seat until you jump off the back of the charter boat. Once you are in the water, you don't need it. There is no distortion when wearing the mask. No refraction. It is the only mask where everything under water is true size and true distance. As for clearing the mask. It is the easiest mask I have found to clear. No head tilt, just blowing gently out my nose as I continue my dive clears the mask...easy! The water just drains out of the mask.

Basically we dive to see the underwater world... that's why I haven't come across too many blind divers.. anyway, it's murder on their guide dogs..(lol, sorry) The colours and vision is awesome. I think of it as a saftey issue... the better and more I can see... the safer the dive.... especially in the sharktank...lol

In general, you have to have an open mind and give it a go.. if it sucks, then you know first hand... the same goes for the opposite.

I hear there are a couple of new masks due to come out... so if you can't or won't wear the Mega, then hopefully one of the others may be better for you.

Rabbit

dasalomon:
I've seen several demos for the Hydrooptix max and am still uncomfortable with the thought of wearing corrective lenses while I dive.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom