hydrooptix mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G'day guys and gals...

I have found a few things work when it comes to fogging. Even though the mask comes with a "USE NO TOOTHPASTE" warning... it is actually ok to use the stuff on the mask. As you would on any other flat mask.

The grittier the better. Then use Dawn or Palmolive. I have also used VO-5 shampoo on the mask... Johnson's Baby shampoo... the no tears one apparently works well!!

With the no fog goo that comes with the mask.. you know.. in the lunchbox the mask comes in...lol. Just use a little, so there is a fine film not a whole heap. And when you rinse it.. just dunk and drain quickly. Just make sure the mask is dry when u put it on first.

Good luck!

Rabbit... Down Under!!

Finally got to do a real dive with the HO mask!

Overall impression: WOW!

I noticed so much detail that I normally miss - I was amazed to discover that my vision with the HO mask is so much better than my vision underwater wearing prescription contacts and a flat mask. Fish never LOOKED blurry at all to me before - but they're much sharper now, and I was noticing little details in scaling and the like that I've never spotted before. Very cool.

The field of view was awesome; I had a much better sense of the layout of each dive site and our relation to various landmarks than I usually do.

Fog turned out not to be a problem. We used the Sea Drops supplied with the mask: a few dollops applied and smeared around before the dive, one quick dunk before putting it on, and very little fog trouble.

My only complaint was that water kept leaking in from somewhere. I have no idea where: that mask was definitely sealed onto my face well. But I kept getting a little puddle that would invariably wind up right in the middle of the mask, where my eyes were trying to look. I was able to purge it out, but it would reform a few seconds later. Anyone else experienced this? I got used to it by the third dive of the day, but it's definitely annoying.

Not annoying enough to go back to a flat mask, though - you'll have to pry my HydroOptix out of my cold dead hands! I loved it!

alaity47:
Finally got to do a real dive with the HO mask!

Overall impression: WOW!

I noticed so much detail that I normally miss - I was amazed to discover that my vision with the HO mask is so much better than my vision underwater wearing prescription contacts and a flat mask. Fish never LOOKED blurry at all to me before - but they're much sharper now, and I was noticing little details in scaling and the like that I've never spotted before. Very cool.

The field of view was awesome; I had a much better sense of the layout of each dive site and our relation to various landmarks than I usually do.

Fog turned out not to be a problem. We used the Sea Drops supplied with the mask: a few dollops applied and smeared around before the dive, one quick dunk before putting it on, and very little fog trouble.

My only complaint was that water kept leaking in from somewhere. I have no idea where: that mask was definitely sealed onto my face well. But I kept getting a little puddle that would invariably wind up right in the middle of the mask, where my eyes were trying to look. I was able to purge it out, but it would reform a few seconds later. Anyone else experienced this? I got used to it by the third dive of the day, but it's definitely annoying.

Not annoying enough to go back to a flat mask, though - you'll have to pry my HydroOptix out of my cold dead hands! I loved it!

Hi there Al.... I had the same problem last weekend whilst diving in the Aquarium shark tank. I found that just having it a little tighter tha I normally do rectified the leaking prob. Not too tight... so your eyeballs explode, just 1 or 2 clicks. Also when wearing a hood... I found that if I have the hood over top skirt... that helped also.

Take care and happy diving!!
Rabbit

scuba_rabbit:
Hi there Al.... I had the same problem last weekend whilst diving in the Aquarium shark tank. I found that just having it a little tighter tha I normally do rectified the leaking prob. Not too tight... so your eyeballs explode, just 1 or 2 clicks. Also when wearing a hood... I found that if I have the hood over top skirt... that helped also.

Take care and happy diving!!
Rabbit

Thanks, Rabbit - I thought about making it tighter; it does seem like it's maybe just a little too wide for my face, and squeezing down the sides a bit more might help. I'll give it a shot on my next dive. (Not until the 17th - don't know if I can make it that long, waaahhhh!!)

Leak or no leak, I love this mask. I've become like a walking advertisement; sent two people from our Monday boat to our LDS to buy it already. <g>

I just tried my Mega -4.5 for the first time and I really like it. It's weird, though, after diving so many years with the old technology. Like someone mentioned...I also found myself being closer to things than when I had my regular tri-view on. I've gotten so accustomed to the closer/bigger effect of flat masks that now I need to retrain myself. (I figure in a couple of dives I should be good.) No leaking, no fogging. It really allows you to see a lot more underwater. Three friends and I made a Torpedo dive and I could easily keep track of each of them. The deeper we got, the more I liked the mask. You can really see up towards the surface (without tilting up) much better with this new mask. I'm a contact lens wearer for 25 years so switching out for the dive is no big deal for me. (I just need some cool prescription sunglasses for use in between dives.) I like the cover lens idea but it seems fragile and I expect it won't stand up to the type of constant abuse I am likely to do to it.

The folks at Hydro-Optix are really great. I spent quite a long time on the phone with them while I was deciding to try it out and I am very pleased with their service and their product. I think the mask is reasonably priced for retail and if you are a dive professional, you can discuss industry professional pricing with them.

I plan on using my Mega -4.5 quite a bit from now on and will report back after a few more dives. I've already experienced a greater feeling of flying while using this new product. No one should be afraid of trying this mask out. It is well built and well worth the price. Welcome to the future of SCUBA diving!

I had three of these and tried like hell to love them. I could not stand the pooling in the domes when I looked straight down, and surfacing and being blind was not too thrilling either. Even doing the Colonel Klink bit with the monocle didn't help that much.
They recently shipped me the clip-on lenses that replace the monocle. I can see perfectly with those attached to the mask on the surface, but women, children and sane men flee when they see me wearing it. I saw a pic of what I look like with the whole rig on, so expect "Predator vs HydrooptixDiver" soon in your local theater. You're supposed to snap these lenses into a holder on your bc while you're underwater. They're on a nifty little retractor - there is some really awesome engineering behind these masks.
And all of this is after I put in -2.0 contacts to optimize my eyesight to -4.5 for the mask.
I gave one away to a dive op in Turks & Caicos, and the others will see the light of eBay one of these days.
If it works for you, and you love it to death, more power to you.

Old Thread alert!!! :)

Ok, not that old... I see the thread jumped in time..... And that there are some newer reviews.... so I guess my post is obsolete. Get with the program.

Was the mask in the first postings the same as this one... or has it evolved along the way??? I am nearsighted.... so... this will help??? (I usually wear contacts when diving, so it's not really a problem). But I wouldn't wear my regular contacts with this mask right? sorry, just a bit brain dead here.

HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Masks.asp?PAGE=3

AmyJ:
I am nearsighted.... so... this will help???
AmyJ, how nearsighted are you? Depending on your prescription you may be able to use the mask without contacts. According to their chart you are a naked eye user if you are -2.5 to -5.5 under age 30, -3.5 to -5.5 mid 30's, and -4.0 to -5.5 over age 40. This is the contact lens prescription. It says if you use glasses it works for up to -6.0 If you fall outside this range or are 20/20 you need to get contacts to make you -4.5.

I'm -5.25 for contacts and -5.75 for glasses and recently bought this mask. Because I'm worse than a -4.5 I was worried things would be blurry for me underwater but it's actually crystal clear! Very wide field of view. I have had some leaking/pooling water and the fogging that were mentioned by other posters, but usually not too bad. Before one dive I was fogged on the surface even after 2 de-fogs with the SeaGold, but once I got underwater the pooling water removed the fog and I cleared my mask and everything was fine. I might try the toothpaste and baby shampoo tricks next. I also need to tighten the mask a little and make sure the mask seal is under my hood to make the leak go away. I haven't used the coverlens or monocle, it seems like too much stuff to carry with you underwater. I just put my glasses back on for the surface interval. Yes, the storage box is big, but there's a neoprene mask cover that comes with it so you can protect the mask from scratches and don't have to carry the box with you all the time. The mask definitely got noticed on the boat dive. I think I look cooler in it than my old square-lens prescription mask. I got tech black for that ninja look. :ph34r:

It's a little more hassle than a regular mask, but if you're nearsighted and want a wide unbroken field of view it can't be beat!

I'm glad to see this post is still circulating. This mask is really different than other wide angle masks out there. For once, this is an actual "new and improved" piece of dive gear. I'm surprised that more underwater photographers aren't using this mask yet. I am very happy with my Hydro-Optix Mega -4.5 DD mask. (AmyJ) The conversion chart is pretty easy to use. It's just some simple math really.

I like to say that using this mask is like being in an IMAX movie theatre. If anyone wants to know my firsthand accounts of the Hydro-Optix mask, please feel free to PM me. I am using it everyday. Some of the basic problems that have been addressed in prior posts are all pretty common to all masks. If you have a chance to try one on, with the contacts, you will be sold.

The trick to just wear glasses in between dives works great too. I like to keep my vision needs simple around water. They really do look cool and "techy" in the water too....Here it is at night! Check this out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom