hydrooptix mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

was just telling me about this mask during my exam - she tried it earlier this year is expecting samples soon. Has anyone with a stronger prescription tried it? I'm in the -6.5 to -7.0 range, so I'd be curious about feedback from my fellow bats.

Falcon99 once bubbled...

Do ANY of you have feedback on this - other than from a swimming pool?

James

Yep, I took the mask into a local lake with low vis and loved the way it mitigated the "claustaphobic" feeling by replacing the lost depth of view with a broader field of view. I was buddied up with another pair for a time when my first buddy was taken by an instructor for some drills and I found I could swim between them and keep an eye on both at the same time.

I also took it to the Gilboa quarry in Ohio and appreciated the wider field of view. The vis was much better than the lake, so I could see much more of whatever I was looking at. I also found it easier to see "up" when I am horizontal as the upward field of view is also improved. That means less neck craning for me. We had a great group (read the trip report for more) of about twenty folks and it was nice to have situational awareness of all the bodies nearby. It didn't keep me from getting a glass case from being pinched from my lower D ring during the feeding frenzy of the little harassment session though...

BTW, I heard that the price has dropped from $150 to $120.

David

Hey....

Does anyone know when the new 3.5 Hydro-Optix is coming out???I heard it is in October of 2003....

Also , rumor has it us perfect vision divers can use it without using contacts.....

Anyone know if it has been released early and where I can go check it out???

NightRaven77

I happen to be sufficiently blind to be the perfect candidate for the hydro optix mask sans contact lenses. My eyes are -4 and -4.5 so I fit the profile for out of the box users. The mask is very impressive. Once you get over all of the comments about how you look. The periferal vision was dramatically improved over my prescription mask as was the increased range up and downward. On one dive I brought my prescription mask along and changed half way through a dive. I changed back quickly because it is that much better! The down side is the lens is soft and easily scratched. The scratches disappear underwater but I'm sure enough of them will have a bad effect. I'm going to order some repacements while the company is still in business because if people don't use contacts to blur their vision, which I think is a bit much, the company will not last. :doctor:

After seeing the mask in ads I looked for this thread and here it is! Ain't scubaboard great!

Looks like a lot of equipment... monocular, coverlense, lanyards and retractor... oh, and MASK lol...

Also, the comments about scratches in this thread worry me... they seem to appear from nowhere on my lightweight eyeglass lenses, and if that coverlense actually touches the mask lense it's going to scratch it (unless one only dives in pure water with no silt). I've even had dried salt water scratch a supposedly protected eyeglass lense.

BTW, the site still says the price on these masks is $199.

BUT with all the favorable impressions I'm gong to contact one of the resellers - they're all over the place down here.

Thanks again, all, I learned a lot from you.

Its on my xmas/birthday wish list... I think my wife has it marked down as something that would make me really really happy :)

Hi, all. This is my first post to this board.
I'm in the middle of my OW course with the Y... so I don't have a whole lot of experience, but here's my 2 cents.
I am nearsighted, and my buddy has a Hydro Optics mask, so I figured I'd give it a try. I am able to see MUCH better with the HO than with my usual mask (Poseidon Technica), but that hard spot is VERY painful where it presses into the bridge of my nose. It left a mark that lasted over 24 hours...

Thanks for the feedback post... that doesn't sound like a good thing. I still intend to the mask out for myself but I'm not rushing off to do it!!

Oh, and welcome to Scubaboard. This is a great bunch of folks here, and you'll enjoy diving with your local group(s).

WaveMan1978 once bubbled...
SNIP... I am able to see MUCH better with the HO than with my usual mask (Poseidon Technica), but that hard spot is VERY painful where it presses into the bridge of my nose. It left a mark that lasted over 24 hours...

Hello. I am where the buck stops at HydroOptix, and we're all working very hard to make the best masks possible. Perfection is elusive, and one size doesn't fit everybody. I hope the group doesn't think I'm shamelessly promoting the mask, merely addressing product-fit and quality concerns.

We know the nose fit is snug for some divers on our first model. All new masks now shipping have modified frames to accommodate a bigger schnoz. Not dramatically bigger, but enough to make a substantial comfort difference for some divers. Future models will have even more commodious schnoz pockets.

JonKranhouse once bubbled... Hello. I am where the buck stops at HydroOptix...SNIP... I hope the group doesn't think I'm shamelessly promoting the mask, merely addressing product-fit and quality concerns....SNIP
Hey, I for one am glad (and impressed) that you posted - thanks for the info and I'll be looking up a dealer sometime this week because of it. Thanks for taking the time to clear the air on your masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom