Hydroid Aquabreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since its’ introduction in the 1965 movie Thunderball, I’ve been waiting for James Bond’s “Mini-B” scuba system, (the tiny SCUBA unit that could fit inside of a cigar tube), to arrive on the commercial market. Thus far I’ve been waiting in vain. It would be a bit ironic if the SPECTRE or SMERSH Brain Bucket CCR made it to the market first.

Loved that iconic Bond gadget... as a kid, I always wanted to be Q :D
Thunderball breather and Die Another Day breather

Dunno. Fish do it.
Fish don't have O2 going from dissolved to gaseous to dissolved.
Your lungs probably have enough surface area to effectively exchange O2 with a liquid (and this has actually been done before Liquid Ventilation). If you think the WOB of air in a CCR is high, water is about 750times denser though. So you're back to requiring a powered device, at least there's no inert gas so you're off the hook for any deco.

PS perflourocarbons are now known to not be inert.

Fish don't have O2 going from dissolved to gaseous to dissolved.

Read my next post. Lungs are old tech.

Recreational ECMO. Or “rEcmo”. Gotta grab that domain name.

As I suspected, the #1 issue to address if you are claiming that this is a "rebreather" is the counterlung. I can believe that technological advancements will someday allow us to do all sorts of things - generate oxygen from chemical reactions or scrub CO2 with vastly improved efficiency. I can even imagine someone figuring out how to make an artifical gil, that will make all the rest of our dive gear obsolete.

But I can't imagine a technological advance that will let you put 6 liters of anything into less than 6 liters of physical space. And until someone figures out how to bypass the lungs to oxygenate the blood and offgas nitrogen (recreational ECMO?), every scuba diver will need to move one tidal volume of gas in and out of their lungs with every breath.
Just imagine one simple thing:
Two A4 paper pages on both sides of your head. Square of A4 is around 6dm2. Just add 0.5 dm of thickness on each side and you will have requred 6l. This SpaceBalls helmet looks similar size, as A4 leaf.
So - it realy cold be placed 6l of contra-lung inside this ... construction.
According explode view on their website, tank and cartriges placed above the head.
So - composition LOOKS reasonable.

6L's worth or counterlungs aren't as big as you think. The small ISC Minnows are 6L total and if the helmet were big enough, I guess I could see that happening, but it's hard to say. But, for some divers, 6L is a bit too small anyway. I use bigger 8L minnnow lungs precisely because I felt that 6L lungs were a bit small for me on actual dives.

WOB on "cranial counterlungs" would be terrible in any orientation other than horizontal trim. Hard to inhale if you're head up and hard to exhale if you're head down. You really want the CLs to be on a plane with the lung centroid.

Many, many, many challenges to be overcome here even if this is a legitimate attempt at a product. How to bailout, dil flush. Trim would be interesting - it'd be like diving with an SMB attached to your head that inflated and deflated with every breath.

If one of the reasons for diving a rebreather is silence, then mounting the counterlungs next to my ears would be awful. All you would hear are these bags inflating and deflating.

You could solve a lot of those issues simply by relocating some of the components. The biggest issue is, of course, using potassium superoxide. I get the appeal of being able to ditch conventional scrubber and an O2 cylinder, but this just sounds like terrible, dangerous, idea. Plus, the containers are so small that, even if there is enough chemical to do the job, I'd worry about the bed depth and dwell time. I don't know anything about that chemistry, but breakthrough during rapid breathing would certainly seem to be an issue with something that small.
So, this is the way to MUST divers to keep the trim :)
I used nice way to ease of breathing, when I use Doublehose Sidemount :)
When I breathing - I just shaking (turning) underwater. It was very easy. When inhale - put membare below body. When exhale - put it upper the body.
me and Sidemount, reworked from one of the first soviet SCUBA - AVM-1m
i-3565-jpg.451257.jpg

i-3582-jpg.451258.jpg
АВМ-1м сайдмаунт – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | Alexander D - video

Potassum superoxide is realy dangerous thing. In case of even small flooding you wil get full set of pleasure from alkali coctail.

Somebody asked me about IDA-71. I did not use it, but know how it works. You can find much information here IDA-71
So, it use two cans: one with absorber (ХПИ), another with oxygen regenerator mixes (О-3 or ОКЧ). This allow to keep relation betwen absorbed CO2 volume and oxygen emission in neutral, preventing appearance of demasking bubbles.
I think, for this device it should be near the same.
BUT I`m not shure, that is possible to mix this two reagents together - after some time it could shift balance dramatically.
May be better way is to use IDA-71 principles - one cartridge with ХПИ (sofnolime) another with ОКЧ (peroxide), but for another reason - keep as long as possible for stable PPO2, to save diluent.
But... when you ascending - PPO2 will decrease, and HOW you will compensate it??? :)
there is the nice way - to use same idea, as for prototype of IDA-71 - first rebreather with two different cans - VAR-52
It use valve, allowing to change balance between two canisters.
May be SBH (SpaceBallsHelmet) realise same sh..th..ing. Electronically controlled valve, regulating orifices between two cans.

Since its’ introduction in the 1965 movie Thunderball, I’ve been waiting for James Bond’s “Mini-B” scuba system, (the tiny SCUBA unit that could fit inside of a cigar tube), to arrive on the commercial market. Thus far I’ve been waiting in vain. It would be a bit ironic if the SPECTRE or SMERSH Brain Bucket CCR made it to the market first.
sorry, but JamesBondScuba was mass produced! see it Diving Without BCD
Heh! I found pictures of real "James Bond style" scuba! :)
1717d701c63ea87987ebd63ac6e5fe62-jpg.460471.jpg

1775bb3b2a9e792d965e0107661d4f8e-jpg.460472.jpg

スプラッシュ(SPLASH) - this !
splash_03w-jpg.460478.jpg

Most questionable is mask size.. normal masks every ideal diver can looking for half of the year, but for fullface...
We have very nice joke:

One inventor came to the patent bureau:
- I`d invented universal shaving machine! You have just to put face on this stand, press button, and you be shaved within one minute automatically!
- Pardon, but all people have different faces shape...
- No problem, it is only for first time.

A quick search on their domain shows that it's owned by an Egor Godionenko and run in the Skolkovo Innovation Center. Seems like a pretty generic tech startup place.

Edit: looks like they registered using an address in a tech incubator.

I have a business card with Egor's details on it. I do not want to post it online for all to see without his approval however.

I have a business card with Egor's details on it. I do not want to post it online for all to see without his approval however.

Perfect, I wouldn't want them to accuse anyone of 'doxxing' them so we can be respectful. However, my only question regarding their identity would be if they have any background in undersea technology. Have they created any other diving products?

Also, I would like to invite them to participate in this discussion. If their device is real, I could open it up on my desk and we'd know in 90 seconds what the state of their technology is.

However, when the Triton Artificial Gill was called out by the dive industry, they simply replied with childish name calling. They said that we were trying to stop the development of this radical new technology that threatened our entire industry. They're greatest quote was, "All the naysayers will hang their head in shame."

isn't the fact of having business cards to actually get business? just saying

Sometimes business cards are created for the purposes of appearing as a business.

yes you are right of course

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom