Hydroid Aquabreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming your analysis is correct (and I believe it is), for me it begs the question about motivation. The website does not indicate any connection to crowdfunding.

SOMEONE with money is funding them. Probably that person doesn't have a ScubaBoard account...

There is nothing to crowdfund. They are taking preorders on their website.

The only funding they needed was to do their DEMA show. There was no R+D, it's just a fancy bucket with a scrubber mask and a Spare Air. They will make their money big time when they start taking deposits for preorders that are supposed to ship next year but never will.

They have an address listed as a technology park in Moscow but I still haven't seen a person's name on any of their contact info. When the time to ship comes along, nothing will happen. Then the customers will have to find some unnamed guys in Russia to try and get their money back. It struck me as strange that they were handing out business cards that had company information with no actual names of people but now it's starting to make sense.

Was anyone able to get somebody's name from them?

They could just pull the old trick where they fundamentally change the design after they take peoples money. It could just end-up being a helmet that holds 4 spare air canisters.

Which would cause someone to create a scubaboard thread called "12 breaths till death"

I can even imagine someone figuring out how to make an artifical gil, that will make all the rest of our dive gear obsolete..
Possibly in a submersible or nuclear submarine type application, but in a human powered form this is pure fantasy.

The fraction of O2 in a human breath is measured in parts per hundred (21 percent)
The dissolved fraction of O2 in water is measured in parts million (10s of mg/L)
There are roughly 6 orders of magnitude between these units. So to derive enough O2 to supply a 6L counterlung at just 21% would take about 600,000 liters of water. You need very large high powered pump and a lot of energy to somehow extract all of that dissolved O2 from water.

On the other hand I will be sending my $4000 to Moscow to pre-order a Hydroid right away :D

Possibly in a submersible or nuclear submarine type application, but in a human powered form this is pure fantasy.

The fraction of O2 in a human breath is measured in parts per hundred (21 percent)
The dissolved fraction of O2 in water is measured in parts million (10s of mg/L)
There are roughly 6 orders of magnitude between these units. So to derive enough O2 to supply a 6L counterlung at just 21% would take about 600,000 liters of water. You need very large high powered pump and a lot of energy to somehow extract all of that dissolved O2 from water.

Dunno. Fish do it.

I can imagine some technological advance that will basically make ECMO into a recreational product. I can't imagine HOW it could be done. But that's sort of the point of leaps in technology that earlier generations would have considered magic.

On the other hand, I can't imagine ANY technological advance that would let you put six liters of anything into less than six liters of physical space.

I wonder.......does this ship threw Scotland maybe ?:eek:

I could see electrolysis on a scuba scale becoming a reality sometime in next 20 years. As battery tech gets better with all the development in electric cars, maybe a power source with enough energy density could be implemented at least for fresh water. Pull in water, split into H2 and O and then discharge H2 with exhaling breath.

I could see electrolysis on a scuba scale becoming a reality sometime in next 20 years. As battery tech gets better with all the development in electric cars, maybe a power source with enough energy density could be implemented at least for fresh water. Pull in water, split into H2 and O and then discharge H2 with exhaling breath.

That's not how fish do it. You would still need to make up tidal volume. Lungs are old technology.

I'm betting on some clever body modification procedure that will have us all posting in the ECMO subforum in ten years. "Hey, check out my new Shearwater AV Fistula! Sure is better than those old ScubaPro catheters that I used to dive with..."

Since its’ introduction in the 1965 movie Thunderball, I’ve been waiting for James Bond’s “Mini-B” scuba system, (the tiny SCUBA unit that could fit inside of a cigar tube), to arrive on the commercial market. Thus far I’ve been waiting in vain. It would be a bit ironic if the SPECTRE or SMERSH Brain Bucket CCR made it to the market first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom