Hydroid Aquabreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so now I have a quandary.... not sure what to do next....

These people have posted their slick video of their resounding DEMA success on YouTube. It, of course, depicts their groundbreaking technological advance revolutionizing the dive industry to applause and adulation. There are a few rebreather divers posting the real questions in the comments about how this thing really works but a lot of comments are 'amazing!' and 'awesome!' and 'I can't wait to get one.' There was also the obligatory post about how the big names in the dive industry will be destroyed by this development.

They are taking preorders. $4000

In a previous post I used a couple of pieces of hard evidence to show that this thing isn't real and will never be real. I explained specifically how they did their stunt. In trying to give these people the benefit of the doubt, I did not mention the mountains of softer evidence I witnessed in my investigation. The oral nasal mask I glimpsed through the divers helmet looked exactly like the one connected to a specific emergency scrubber mask sold online. The buoyancy numbers from a 6 liter counterlung and two beer can size scrubbers didn't quite line up with the published weight of the helmet. There many things that show this isn't real but I tried to stick to the most tangible basic facts. I know this thing is a fake PERIOD.

So now, people are lining up to send in their money. Unlike the Triton Gill scam, this is not a crowdfunding platform. There is no chance the customers will ever get their money back. Knowing what I know, what do I do? I feel like I should so something but technically it's not my business.

It has been suggested to me that if someone wants to send $4000 for a high tech rebreather to a couple of guys whose names they don't even know, working for a company in Russia that hasn't produced one stick of undersea technology in its extremely short life, the people sending money will get what they deserve.

Again, I welcome the creators of the Hydroid to join the discussion to show us that this isn't just a bucket with a scrubber mask and a Spare Air.

I think what helped sink the Triton was the skeptic video. Perhaps create one, or see if the creator of that video is willing to help again.

Honestly you've done a lot already here, though I understand your angst and desire to do more.

It literally looks like a cheap knock-off Aria full face snorkel mask (which were never designed for depths greater than typical snorkeling) with lots of plastic around it and a couple of soda cans. And only two crappy looking straps to hold it on? I really do wish the creators the best of luck.....but......the tech just isn't there. It's poorly designed and not supportive of proper scuba techniques. You can adjust buoyancy with the buttons on the helmet without a BC? Guess that works if you want to maintain a vertical profile in the water column. But for those of us that actually practice good buoyancy techniques...this product fails to deliver. I'll go out on a limb and say sure, maybe it can get you underwater for a bit. But it won't get you diving.

It literally looks like a cheap knock-off Aria full face snorkel mask (which were never designed for depths greater than typical snorkeling) with lots of plastic around it and a couple of soda cans. And only two crappy looking straps to hold it on? I really do wish the creators the best of luck.....but......the tech just isn't there. It's poorly designed and not supportive of proper scuba techniques. You can adjust buoyancy with the buttons on the helmet without a BC? Guess that works if you want to maintain a vertical profile in the water column. But for those of us that actually practice good buoyancy techniques...this product fails to deliver. I'll go out on a limb and say sure, maybe it can get you underwater for a bit. But it won't get you diving.
I'd be more concerned about getting a breathable gas underwater than how my trim looked, but that's just me.

This thing could probably support life for a half hour, maybe longer, 3-4 feet underwater as long as there is no real exertion and the diver breathes shallow. The demo diver was a big guy and it was obvious from his breathing that there was a much larger volume in his lungs than there was in his helmet. At 100 feet down with this thing, you're dead for a lot of reasons.

People argue whether a Spare Air could safely ascend a diver from 100 feet. Imagine a fully closed, computer controlled rebreather that uses one for its diluent tank and bailout.

Did You know they were selling bongs at the show this year ? :rofl3:

1st thing that popped into my head was Paul Harvey telling us all about scuba bongs.

These people have posted their slick video of their resounding DEMA success on YouTube. It, of course, depicts their groundbreaking technological advance revolutionizing the dive industry to applause and adulation. There are a few rebreather divers posting the real questions in the comments about how this thing really works but a lot of comments are 'amazing!' and 'awesome!' and 'I can't wait to get one.' There was also the obligatory post about how the big names in the dive industry will be destroyed by this development.

They are taking preorders. $4000

In a previous post I used a couple of pieces of hard evidence to show that this thing isn't real and will never be real. I explained specifically how they did their stunt. In trying to give these people the benefit of the doubt, I did not mention the mountains of softer evidence I witnessed in my investigation. The oral nasal mask I glimpsed through the divers helmet looked exactly like the one connected to a specific emergency scrubber mask sold online. The buoyancy numbers from a 6 liter counterlung and two beer can size scrubbers didn't quite line up with the published weight of the helmet. There many things that show this isn't real but I tried to stick to the most tangible basic facts. I know this thing is a fake PERIOD.

So now, people are lining up to send in their money. Unlike the Triton Gill scam, this is not a crowdfunding platform. There is no chance the customers will ever get their money back. Knowing what I know, what do I do? I feel like I should so something but technically it's not my business.

It has been suggested to me that if someone wants to send $4000 for a high tech rebreather to a couple of guys whose names they don't even know, working for a company in Russia that hasn't produced one stick of undersea technology in its extremely short life, the people sending money will get what they deserve.

Again, I welcome the creators of the Hydroid to join the discussion to show us that this isn't just a bucket with a scrubber mask and a Spare Air.

This wouldn't be the first time divers have plunked down hard earned cash for vaporware Apocalypse rebreather

Getting ripped off because the product is not delivered is probably the best outcome. At least you live. Better that actually receiving one and trying to dive it.

Maybe these guys will take care of things for you:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.27.12 PM.png

Did someone actually lose consciousness in the pool at DEMA with this thing? Just heard that from someone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom