Hydro without vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pbdiver84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone run into this before?

Looking at buying some second hand tanks with a newer hydro, and the seller claims that Aluminum tanks don’t need VIP if the hydro is new.

I think this is kind of sketchy, but how common/accepted is this?

I know if the tanks are empty no dive shop in my AO will fill it without them performing the visual. They said they are liable if there is “something” in there and they fill it and you get hurt.

Edit: I learned this when I took my brand new “empty” tank to be filled.

A visual is part of doing a hydro. But isn't always the case. I remember hearing a hydro shop state they don't both on SCUBA since the dive shop will always do a vis on tanks that come back from hydro anyway. Stuff can happen between hydro and the dive shop. Stuff has gotten into tanks many times before. ranging from critters to left over hydro juice.

While the seller is technically correct, it just doesn't work that way in the real world. In a way, you are both right. But the part about aluminum tanks, there is nothing special about aluminum that makes it any different than a steel tank.

The last used tanks I bought I pulled the valves and using a cell phone light at night I did a quick peek inside. Not a true vis, but enough that I felt like they would pass. The inside wasn't all corroded up and crap. If the tanks you are looking at are empty, I would do the same again.

Hydro, if done the old way of filling the tanks with pressurized water in a water bath, is going to get the inside of your tanks dirty.

After hydro, tanks need to be cleaned and inspected to ensure there is no debris, gunk, or corrosion inside.

Whomever says tanks don't need inspection after hydro is either ignorant or lying to save themselves time/money.

If filling from your own compressor, there is no requirement to have a VIP. Legally, the only requirement is the hydro. However, no shops are likely to fill a tank without a VIP.

Technically, a visual inspection is part of the hydro test procedure, but it’s not exactly the same as a VIP.

If the tank is in good condition, and not made from 6351, then it’s likely going to pass inspection. I’d factor in the cost of a VIP with the purchase price, and plan on doing a thorough external visual. Look for nicks and general condition.

Maybe verify who did the hydro, a reputable hydro would typically include a visual.

If not then getting a visual with sticker is like another $15? And you should factor that in to the deal you're getting. Might still be worth it.

It would be weird for someone to fake a hydro stamp with a set of metal stamping tools, but maybe there is someone psychotically dull enough to do something like that idk

They're AL tanks. Unless you're getting them for $100 just buy new ones.

This June. The tanks have been dove before, and guy says he’s with the FD and sent them for hydro himself
Aah. That could make sense. FD may have their own compressor. Therefore not bound to Scuba Industry practice of VIP. Around here, there’s a dive shop within a few miles regardless of where you are, so many of the FDs just bring to a LDS.

Back
Top Bottom