• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

hydro test cylinder markings

Discussion in 'Tanks, Valves and Bands' started by refract, Aug 20, 2015.

1. refract

refract Angel Fish

Hi All!
    I have recently moved to the US from Australia, and I'm just wanting some confirmation the markings used for hydro tests here. Several of the cylinders I have access to have only this marking stamped on it. What does this mean about the cylinders' test history?
    Many thanks!
    cylinder.jpg

2. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

It was new in '03, and retested by West Air Gasses in '08. It is out of hydro, and will need to be tested again.

nimoh likes this.
  3. nimoh

nimoh Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It means that the tank passed hydro in July of 2008 by a tester identified as B336 and now needs to go in for hydro before it's next fill since a hydro is required every 5 years in the USA by the Department of Transportation (DOT)

4. divad

divad Solo Diver

Oh blimey.

5. refract

refract Angel Fish

thanks guys, so it is the same as Australia and these cylinders have been due for test since 2013...? =S

6. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yes, in the US, its every 5 years.... likely sitting in a garage/basement, or being in the hands of someone with their own (non-commercial) compressor...

7. akdeepdiver

akdeepdiver Dive Shop

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Actually, the RIN stamp is read in a clockwise fashion, so this testers ID is B363

nimoh and knotical like this.
  8. nimoh

nimoh Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    thanks, didn't know that. As such, I should have responded "...by a tester identified by some combination of the characters B, 3, 6 and 3..." or done a little research :)

9. subsdive

subsdive Garibaldi

Have you tried giving a call to the guys at Ted Louis Hydrostatics ? They're quite good and should be able to help.