Hydro Optix: 20/20 Test Subject

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tom,

Thanks for some great answers and a better insight into them.

I myself did not enjoy the clipon mask. The monacle is attached to my BCD but rarely is being used. One of the things that I AM looking forward to however, is seeing my optemetrist about a custom set of glasses/sunglasses with a -3.0 prescription to completely cancel my +3.0 contacts. I'm sure it will make surface intervals much more enjoyable.

Did you consider the possibility of having a set of glasses made to work with your diving contacts for more enjoyable surface intervals?

I've found the 'pooling' is relatively easy to deal with, and I'm working on a few other solutions in addition. I've found the best way to deal with the issue is to every so often, tilt my head completely forward, so that the water in the nose pocket and skirt drains into the lenses, then tilt my head back and purge. I don't find that I have to tilt my head that far to look down anyways with the increased field of view.

Another nice thing about the mask is the construction. It's very modular, and if something does happen to the polycarbonate domes, it's very inexpensive and easy to replace.

Apparently, there are a bunch of attachments in the works for this mask, HUD compass/computer, etc...

Tom Winters:
I tried the mask on a few dives, both day and night in clear and murky waters. I never had the leakage problem that other people report, and I loved the field of view that I got with it. What I did not like was the pooling effect in the bottoms of the lenses while looking down. I also did not like being blind on the surface - I'm a -6.0 myope, so I had to use weaker contacts to properly adjust for the mask. Looking around for the boat, especially at night on a dark ocean, was not comfortable. The monocle worked ok and was always good for a few Colonel Klink bits on the boat. They sent me the clip-on lens that is really cool-looking - kinda like Predator goes diving - but I never field-tested it.
For cave diving, this mask would be great since it's pretty impact resistant with the polycarbonate lens.
I even worked for Hydrooptix when they exhibited at DEMA in Miami Beach - the people there were really enthusiastic about their mask. I kept the last of my Hydrooptix masks - I may even use it again sometime since I never tried the clip-on lenses. But it may also just sit there on the shelf alongside my 1966 Calypso regulator. As I have said, I'm glad it works for you, have a ball with it.
As a last point, using my digital camera underwater - I flat-out cannot read anything on the camera viewwfinder, even with monovision contacts. My SeaVision with the -2.0 gauge readers might help a little, but the one thing that the Hydrooptix excels at for people like me (old farts) with presbyopia (old eyes) is the ability to see close clearly - watches, computers, little tiny print on a viewfinder, so I may have to use it for this purpose. My housing is only good to 130' so I don't take it that often.

Canadian_Diver:
Hey Tom,

Thanks for some great answers and a better insight into them.

I myself did not enjoy the clipon mask. The monacle is attached to my BCD but rarely is being used. One of the things that I AM looking forward to however, is seeing my optemetrist about a custom set of glasses/sunglasses with a -3.0 prescription to completely cancel my +3.0 contacts. I'm sure it will make surface intervals much more enjoyable.

Although not pictured on their website, the HydroOptix brochure states that "Surface Interval Eyewear" is available in several standard diopters or that can make Rx ones for you. There wasn't a price listed, but I'm sure you could e-mail them and ask about cost and such.

koi:
Although not pictured on their website, the HydroOptix brochure states that "Surface Interval Eyewear" is available in several standard diopters or that can make Rx ones for you. There wasn't a price listed, but I'm sure you could e-mail them and ask about cost and such.

Hey Koi, I already knew about the "SI Eyewear" - and it is pictured on the website.

Hydro Optix Surface Interval Kit

I have chosen to get a set locally through my Optician, this way I can get them covered under my benefits for free. Can't do that if I order them through HO. Besides, the cost is the about the same, and I get a better quality set of glasses that are matched EXACTLY to my eyes. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom