Hydro Atlantic without Helium?

Helium required for the Hydro Atlantic?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90 tmx+ 15 deco gas + 80 charter + 20 tip + 6 parking = $211... That's ok for once in a while but to do it regularly that's some serious money... My post said I would like to do this regularly. Not everyone is made of money... Of course helium is better. I didn't argue that nor am I trying to. I simply asked if people do this wreck on nitrox since it is doable and was the norm not that long ago. But your point is taken.
I think the point is you're paying 121 for the charter and deco gas anyway, the extra 90 is just an adder....

90 tmx+ 15 deco gas + 80 charter + 20 tip + 6 parking = $211... That's ok for once in a while but to do it regularly that's some serious money... My post said I would like to do this regularly. Not everyone is made of money... Of course helium is better. I didn't argue that nor am I trying to. I simply asked if people do this wreck on nitrox since it is doable and was the norm not that long ago. But your point is taken.
That sort of dive is still out of my expertise and comfort zone at this time, but a wholehearted "like" from a fellow budget mindet "fuel miser" is in order...
I am not endorsing bad practises, but I also am not thinking at all that Helium is a must for ALL dives below 130. So I for one think this is a good and hopefully constructive thread.

If you cant afford it then don't do it? I would love to do deep wrecks all the time. But, as a regular person, I can't without making safety compromises, so I don't. I do less deep wrecks, but I make them count when I do it.

Invest in some dedicated trimix tanks if you're serious about technical diving.

Ummm... I dove Hydro Atlantic during my deco course. On air except for the deco gas which was 80% oxygen. No signs of narcosis whatsoever.

If you cant afford it then don't do it? I would love to do deep wrecks all the time. But, as a regular person, I can't without making safety compromises, so I don't. I do less deep wrecks, but I make them count when I do it.

Invest in some dedicated trimix tanks if you're serious about technical diving.

You know... I was tech diving before trimix really was mainstream and it took me a while to adopt it. I also used to run a tech shop. I think it's safe to say that I'm serious about tech diving. That whole if you can't afford it thing really erks me. I can afford it. I just don't like to spend money if i dont need to. I'd rather be diving than diving and spending extra cash so I can be one of the cool kids. Diving 150 on air is safe in my opinion and I've done it many many times. I have many sets of tanks and more tech gear than I know what to do with it. Again, it was a simple question does anyone dive this wreck on nitrox. Tech diving doesn't mean absolute use of trimix if that's your definition.

I know lots of guys who dive the Wilkes Barre (250 to the sand) on air. They hang (not sling) a 80 of 100 at 20 feet. They are alive. If your tolerance for narcosis allows it, go for it. I am stupid at 150 on air, so that's my personal limit. I tolerate 2.0 PPO2 quite well, my wife's ears are buzzing at 1.6, so she sticks with 1.4. You won't know your tolerances until you try.

But you are going to have to stay away from the scuba police. They will tell you what to do.

People who are trying to save money are going to mix a tank of 22 %???? Wouldn’t it be cheaper to use air?

I'm sure you could get "pretty good" at doing the same deep air site over and over. Until the one day your muscle memory doesn't do you any good because you actually have to think, or work hard with some Co2 buildup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom