Hydro Atlantic without Helium?

Helium required for the Hydro Atlantic?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey guys,

I want to dive the Hydro more since it is in my backyard. I have only dove it once and considering the cost of helium it really is cost prohibitive to go dive it just for giggles. How many of you guys and gals have done it on nitrox (22%-23%). I really haven't gone deeper than 150 without helium. Let me know what you guys think or if you believe it is a helium only dive. Thanks

Cost prohibitive?
FL is the land of the world's cheapest helium, do it on mix or find a shallower dive

Just because it's cheaper than where you are doesn't make it "cheap".

What's a set of LP104's with 20/20 cost? About $60 bucks?

i don't think anyone is going to recommend you dive it on air. a tropical mix can be considered if you want to keep the cost down eg 20/20

That's not a bad idea. I understand deep air is considered taboo these days and that is valid. I'm just looking to see if anyone still does it in this wreck. The majority of it is 150-160 so kinda right on the edge of my air comfort zone. Thanks for the idea.

I voted no, but personally wouldn't dive it without helium. Here's what I mean, if you plan your dive and stay on the deck or at the wheelhouse (e.g. above 135 fsw) then most people could reasonably do it without helium. But doing so requires diligently adhering to your plan and it puts some of the cool aspects of the wreck off limits. And what if something goes pear shaped and you unexpectedly find yourself deeper. Even at 135', a little helium is never a bad thing for backing off the narcotic edge and reducing your gas density. The Hydro is such a great wreck, so I can't see limiting myself by not using helium.

That's not a bad idea. I understand deep air is considered taboo these days and that is valid. I'm just looking to see if anyone still does it in this wreck. The majority of it is 150-160 so kinda right on the edge of my air comfort zone. Thanks for the idea.
They only dive it on deep air on their own boat where the Scuba police fear to tread.

Good lord. Its 90 bucks to FILL double al80s with 21/35, and only like 50 bucks to top them off. And that's PDC prices.

I cant even.

90 tmx+ 15 deco gas + 80 charter + 20 tip + 6 parking = $211... That's ok for once in a while but to do it regularly that's some serious money... My post said I would like to do this regularly. Not everyone is made of money... Of course helium is better. I didn't argue that nor am I trying to. I simply asked if people do this wreck on nitrox since it is doable and was the norm not that long ago. But your point is taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom