Hydro Atlantic and other deep wrecks without Tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´ve done the hydro both on air and tmx...
I remember more from the dives on tmx but I don´t feel the airdives where inherently dangerous.
150 ft, in warm, clear water on air just doesen´t feel like that big a deal...YMMV...

grazie42:
I´ve done the hydro both on air and tmx...
I remember more from the dives on tmx but I don´t feel the airdives where inherently dangerous.
150 ft, in warm, clear water on air just doesen´t feel like that big a deal...YMMV...

You have dove both air and trimix on a dive like the hydro and appear to have had uneventfull dives. Great. I am very happy for you. And, you are more then welcome to state that "150 ft, in warm, clear water on air just doesen´t feel like that big a deal...YMMV..." this is your opinion, and that is fine. Is the warm water and 150' vis a false sence of security??? - In my honest opinion, YES. But, you also state that, I remember more from the dives on trimix, which does mean that you were affected to a degree. Let's say your dive was not uneventful, and you had a major problem (could be anything - but, was a major problem). The main question would be - Would your head be clear enough to handle a problem without risking the life of yourself or your buddy. If you say that you remember more of your dives on trimix verses air, then if you are diving air - you are more of a danger to doth yourself and your buddy...

Plongeur - your best bet to dive the Hydro is to go with Jim Mims. He'll be right there with you on the dive and has whatever extra gear you'll need.

Hey Plonguersousmarine
Here's the deal. If you're a competent diver you can do the Hydro on air or nitrox 25.Carry a 40 cu ft or better, 80% mix for clean up. Spend about 25 minutes on the wreck including descent time and you'll be out of the water in 60 minutes. Use a gas switchable computer or run a table on Z planner. Make sure you have a proper redundancy setup and if it's your first time dive with someone who's got a bit of time in/ on deepish wrecks in SF or anywhere.

It's my belief that trimix is fine for diving this wreck but nobody should be diving on trimix unless they have done diving on air to at least 200'. Regardless of what you're breathing there's still alot of water between you and the surface

Oh, one more thing. Ask what a "Jim Mims drop" is. If they can't tell you be careful of the advice.

OK Guys you are forgetting something with all this tri mix air stuff. I have been certified since 1974 and back then we did 200 ft bounce dives all the time on a 72 CU steel tank filled with air, did not use BC's and made sure we were properly weighted None of us were ever bent. I did get tingly a few times but the old Navy diver who was the nominal DM just handed me a beer and said drink this and you'll be fine and I was. I have seen divers with so much gear on that they can't even get up off the bench. This is just my opinion but All this tech dive gear is substituting for skill and common sense. Yes you can make an out of air assent from 150 ft safely if you don't panic. I see far more deaths now with divers relying on equipment / advance training then in the "old days when you had simple equipment and you new it could quit on you at any time "no Pressure gauges computers or anything like that" you had to always keep "what if" in the back of your head. Now I am an old fat diver and do not push my limits. I also now use a BC etc.
If this sounds like a rant it is, but when I see "Tech Divers" on the dive boats who have to have help just to stand I can't help but wonder who is going to have to save Them when he gets in trouble.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom