Hydro Atlantic and other deep wrecks without Tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving deep on air is like J-walking across a street, most likely you will get away with it.
But your still taking a chance with your life.(not to mention being plain irresponsible)

Diving deep wrecks without proper training is more akin to crossing the freeway with your eyes closed. You really have no idea of the dangers that could be coming your way.
Just my thought on the matter not that it's worth the 2 cents I'm printing it on. Huh!

Deep diving on air? I'd rather just take helium balloons down instead of tanks. There is the buoyancy issue to consider, but if you cable tie a big enough helium balloon to the end of the snorkel, it should work like a regulator right? At least there's no empty tank to lug to the surface. Shoot, anytime I'm wreck diving in the Mariana Trench, I try my best to get that last big gulp of air to empty those tanks before rocketing to the suface like an ICBM. No sense making long decos, when I can make it in one breath anyway right? Who needs a computer? Squeeze that bottom time to the last second!

*Note-This post may be tainted with sarcasm. Taking the advice of someone who hugs jellyfish cuz they're cuddly is NOT a good idea. You have been warned.*

Touche.

But, my point is we shouldn't assume about another's diving skill level based solely on number of dives. It suprises me, still, the natural ability of some divers that I would normally underestimate because they've only been at it a short time...

lamont:
yes, you're right, comparing him to chatterton is clearly more plausible...
Neither Chatterton nor Chrissy Rouse. Just a 41 year-old guy certified in Europe in 1988with a non current DM status looking at getting more experience now that I moved to Florida and too cheap (or poor) to afford the GUE training and all of the equipment that goes along with deep diving these days.
Thanks

Soggy,has a lot to do with the conditions.Dark,cold,drysuit NE wreckdiving is a lot different than 50'+ vis and 80 degree water.Also has a lot to do with task loading.Also has to do with what the dive's expectations are.

I got my full tri-mix cert in 1999 specifically to spearfish deeper.Doing a cost/benefit comparison for dives of 150'@4 per day sometimes for a week straight I could see no improvement in any area other than narcosis.My comfort,cost,deco obligations,task loading due to xtra gear and multiple gas deco,space on my boat and ease of maneuverability were less desirable with helium.Since close to 200 of my yearly 250 to 300 dives per year are going to be deeper than 130' and since 1987 when I first went that deep I haven't died I think I'll continue to live on the"EDGE"But I'm all for others using whatever tools and techniques they require or desire to dive competently in their own environs.

plongeursousmarin:
Neither Chatterton nor Chrissy Rouse. Just a 41 year-old guy certified in Europe in 1988with a non current DM status looking at getting more experience now that I moved to Florida and too cheap (or poor) to afford the GUE training and all of the equipment that goes along with deep diving these days.
Thanks

Welll, nobody is ultimately going to stop you from diving the Hydro on air using backgas for deco. If you spend the money, though, you can dive it on helium mix, remember more, execute the dive safer, deco on O2 or 50%, and dive longer with less risk after getting all the recommended training. I'd prefer to spend the money and learn from the past (sometimes fatal) mistakes of other tech divers, rather than trying to re-invent it all for myself.

There's an awful lot of wrecks down in florida and on the east coast that are in recreational ranges, though. Why do you have to dive the Hydro now as opposed to those other wrecks?

lamont:
Welll, nobody is ultimately going to stop you from diving the Hydro on air using backgas for deco. If you spend the money, though, you can dive it on helium mix, remember more, execute the dive safer, deco on O2 or 50%, and dive longer with less risk after getting all the recommended training. I'd prefer to spend the money and learn from the past (sometimes fatal) mistakes of other tech divers, rather than trying to re-invent it all for myself.

There's an awful lot of wrecks down in florida and on the east coast that are in recreational ranges, though. Why do you have to dive the Hydro now as opposed to those other wrecks?
Because it's there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom