Hydro and +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VIP is not a legal requirement outside of the inspection done as part of the 5 year hydro

So, it's just a SCUBA industry standard? A dive shop could fill a tank that had been hydro'd, without a current VIP sticker?

There is no specific document, none of them state what you just said.
The plus hydro was done during the war to put more gas in bottles to help with shipping. It was added to bottles that already existed, they didn't make all new bottles just for the war.
So again I ask, where do people come up with this crap?

Is there a source for this claim? I’ve heard it as well, yet never seen a document verifying it.
It would be nice to actually see documentation that will answer
That is correct, but why would they. VIP is a revenue source.

Scuba isn’t the only industry that conducts visual inspections, fire departments do as well. The forms they used were the same or similar to ones in scuba.

Is there a source for this claim? I’ve heard it as well, yet never seen a document verifying it.

Scuba isn’t the only industry that conducts visual inspections, fire departments do as well. The forms they used were the same or similar to ones in scuba.
You want documents stating that something ISN'T required?
I doubt you will find that.

It would be nice to actually see documentation that will answer.

In 1930, the ICC implemented regulations for periodic inspection and testing of cylinders; the regulations, as amended, were first published in the Federal Register on December 12, 1940 (5 FR 4908). During the 1930’s and 1940’s, the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) developed and refined the water jacket test method for determining the serviceability of a cylinder. During World War II, there was a shortage of high pressure gas cylinders. Because of CGA’s work on steel wall stress limitations, the ICC granted ‘‘temporary’’ regulatory relief to increase the gas carrying capacity of existing cylinders by allowing the cylinders to be filled 10% over their marked service pressures, and by marking those cylinders with a plus, ‘‘+’’, mark. Ten years later, the regulations were codified into the Code of Federal Regulations (15 FR 8261; Dec. 2, 1950).

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-1998-10-30/pdf/98-28118.pdf

There was a steel shortage 80+ years ago... The plus rating was an effort to reduced the number of cylinders (and steel needed) to transport a given volume of gas.

PHMSA has said that much in some old rulemakings, but there is no "history of cylinders" book documenting this.

In 1930, the ICC implemented regulations for periodic inspection and testing of cylinders; the regulations, as amended, were first published in the Federal Register on December 12, 1940 (5 FR 4908). During the 1930’s and 1940’s, the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) developed and refined the water jacket test method for determining the serviceability of a cylinder. During World War II, there was a shortage of high pressure gas cylinders. Because of CGA’s work on steel wall stress limitations, the ICC granted ‘‘temporary’’ regulatory relief to increase the gas carrying capacity of existing cylinders by allowing the cylinders to be filled 10% over their marked service pressures, and by marking those cylinders with a plus, ‘‘+’’, mark. Ten years later, the regulations were codified into the Code of Federal Regulations (15 FR 8261; Dec. 2, 1950).

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-1998-10-30/pdf/98-28118.pdf

Thanks for posting the link.

VIP is not a legal requirement outside of the inspection done as part of the 5 year hydro

Initially during the VIP program, one didn't need a VIP sticker during the first year after a hydro, as the visual given during the hydro was considered a better check. Extra revenue won out over the years.

Initially during the VIP program, one didn't need a VIP sticker during the first year after a hydro, as the visual given during the hydro was considered a better check. Extra revenue won out over the years.
I would imagine a few reported ruptures of cylinders caused by poorly filtered, wet fills, resulting in rust helped bring about those changes as well.

Back
Top Bottom