Husband & wife buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi:
""Dweeb - old thread!
Tanks - how did you find and unearth this ancient thread??? You must have searched long and hard for it. ""

It's still relevant-despite its age, judging by the amount of post's it recieved once it was revived.
(yes, I found my Jack Daniels :eek:) )
Actually, now that it is 2004, there is an appropriate forum for this thread HERE :eyebrow:

I have been in Cuba for the better part of a year. Got married two weeks before I got deployed. I just started rescue diver and will be done next week. I'll be home inside two months my Bride starts OW this week and I can not wait!!!! This will give us another wonderful thing to share. My dive buddy is great, but I can't imagine anything better than diving with my wife. I am already in the initial phase of planning a dive vacation for the two us(reading lot's of threads). Wanted rescue diver done so I could be a better diver, particulary since I'll be diving with her. Not so I can be superior or condasending, but so I can be squared away if anything unforseen were to happen. To all you folks that dive happily as a couple, my hats off to you, I can't wait. To those who want to ***** or yell at each other, you are blowing a wonderful oppotunity to share something special. At this point I'd give my left arm just to see her nevermind to dive with her. (Although that would cause some bouyancy issues). So enjoy your time together and consider yourselves luck. P.S yor old man does sound like a D-Bag(sorry)

but I can't imagine anything better than diving with my wife.
Seems you've been away too long.... :eyebrow:
Just teasing, couldn't resist.....I know exactly where you're coming from. I am very happy that I share such an important part of me (I am Scuba:)) with my SO.

art.chick:
I took basic OW with my husband. He is gregarious & tall, one of the guys. I am a plus-size gal who is slightly less confident in life in general (partly because I have had a weight gain since we have been married, lost my job, & had some other setback.)
My wife is my only dive partner-and we both would be considered to be plus sized- We are both Firefighters, Emt's and Public Safety divers together.
I admit, we do get upset and sometimes show anger to each other (mostly for safety violations or exceeding ones limitations) but there isn't an excuse for being yelled at if you can be assisted. We both know our limitations and try not to exceed them (although I do get cranky when I get sea sick swimming into the beach). For the most part, it is great having your mate as a dive partner--as you can plan and go just about anywhere. Make him aware that if he is going to be your buddy that he needs to be just that.

Walter:
Sounds like an abusive relationship. I'd be surprised if this is only a dive problem. You may consider looking for professional assistance.

No doubt Walter. Things like this are rarely all about the situation in question.

Diving, like anything, is about compatibility, not prior relationships. I dive with my wife on vacations to warm, clear, hi vis places and try to find other buddies for the cold, low vis climate of my home state diving.

Anyway, we just got back from Grand Cayman, a vacation that we both had looked forward to for 5 months. Our first dive my wife had trouble equalizing (probably some lingering problem from an ear infection she had about a month + prior) and could not get down. We scrapped the dive and went back to the boat. She was more upset than I was for "ruining the dive". I mean, I had been looking forward to this dive for months, but her feeling like she could call a dive with no pressure and her well-being totally outweighed any disapointment I had about blowing off the first dive, no contest. That is the way it should be with any buddy team, whether husband and wife or friends.

There are Alot of good suggestions/comments already, so I'll just add one more suggestion:

Talk w/husband before the trip, and get him to agree that YOU lead the dive trip. YOU be the primary diver, and have him follow YOU. When you get out, debrief in private, and see how it went. Take notes, in your log, and refer to them next time around. Keep what works, toss what doesn't. It'll be harder for him to "overlook" items if they're in writing next time around.

Our training states that either person can call a dive WITH NO CONSEQUENCES, but it doesn't sound like hubby accepts this.

I really enjoy diving w/my wife, but I wasn't always a good buddy, because I'd wander: She would then end up looking for me and not enjoying herself as much. We now use the above approach (follower/leader) and it seems to work well for both of us (still diving together after 14 years..)

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom