Question Hurghada Marriott vs Soma Bay Sheraton?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to tour Egypt/Jordan in Nov/2022, and I can probably get 3-4 days to Hurghada at the end of Nile cruise to Aswan-Luxor, before going to Jordan.

In Hurghada, we can go to Hurghada Marriott or Soma Sheraton. Since my wife is a non-diver (maybe come snorkeling one time), should we stay at Hurghada, or is Soma also fine? Which dive ops are on site, or should I use a nearby dive op?

James & Mac is a good choice if you stay in HRG. Think of being early enough before departure as you will need some time for the paper work and to chose your equipment. I don't recall how they are handling the check dives on 1/2 day trips, likely that you will be assign to a DM for the entire dive. There were no shore dive option when we were there, but that's some years ago...

Hi!
Bei nur 3-4 Tagen nach der Nilkreuzfahrt würde ich euch auch das Sheraton Soma Bay empfehlen. Deine Frau kann sich nach den doch anstrengenden Ausflügen während der Nilkreuzfahrt entspannen und du nebenan bei Orca Dive im Breakers ein tolles Hausriff betauchen. Lange Fahrzeiten würden ich bei kurzem dem Aufenthalt vermeiden. Lasst Hurghada links liegen, es ist laut, schmutzig und möglicherweise werdet ihr irgendwo dort abgezockt.
Tauchen Soma Bay ist nicht spektakulär, aber schön! Hier meine Eindrücke vom Oktober 2021:

@mario-diver
As i am not aware that @Torontonian speaks German, may i provide the translation into English? (Thanks Deepl.com)

Hi!​
With only 3-4 days after the Nile cruise, I would also recommend the Sheraton Soma Bay. Your wife can relax after the strenuous excursions during the Nile cruise and you can dive next door at Orca Dive in the Breakers a great house reef. I would avoid long travel times for a short stay. Leave Hurghada to the left, it is noisy, dirty and you may get ripped off somewhere there.​
Diving Soma Bay is not spectacular, but beautiful! Here are my impressions from October 2021:​

@mario-diver
Da mir nicht bekannt ist, dass @Torontonian Deutsch spricht, darf ich die Übersetzung ins Englische bereitstellen? (Danke deepl.com)
Hi!
Ich hänge mich hier per automatischer Übersetzung durch 😇 Englisch reicht leider nur für den Hausgebrauch.
Ich ging davon aus, dass andere Mitglieder hier die gleiche Funktion nutzen?

@Torontonia:
Hi🖖
With only 3-4 days to cruise the Nile I would also recommend the Sheraton Soma Bay. Your wife can relax after the strenuous excursions during the Nile cruise and you can dive a great house reef next door at Orca Dive in the Breakers. I would avoid long travel times for a short stay. Skip Hurghada, it's noisy, dirty and you might get ripped off somewhere there
Tauchen in Soma Bay ist nicht spektakulär, aber auch wunderbar! Hier meine Erinnerung an den Oktober 2021:

Better?🥳

I'm Marriott Platinum and the point redemption rate seems good there. To get dinner or full board the buy rates go up by US$45-75 or higher. Have anyone experience how the food/drinks are if going for dinners for several days, or is it better to eat around town?
I stayed at Marriott for a few days before/after a liveaboard last year and the food was pretty good. It's buffet style and I thought the all inclusive was worth it. Each dinner there was a "fresh" food option made by a chef on the grill that I usually got. It was pasta or chicken if I recall. I never left the resort but I'm a solo female traveler so didn't feel comfortable wandering around alone.

Thanks everyone. We're going to stay at Soma Bay Sheraton. It sounds nice, especially for my non-diver wife.

Oh, the hotels did respond. For Soma Bay Sheraton, the upcharge for dinner is U$30/p/n, for all-inclusive is U$70/p/n; For Hurghada Marriott, the upcharge is lunch $20.25/p/n, dinner $26.30/p/n.

We stayed at Hurghada Marriott a few nights. It was fine. Nice views. We walked old Hurghada and enjoyed an evening meal with locals after fast. We did a shore dive with Egypt Divers which is just south of town. They sent a taxi to pick us up. We did dinner at a place in the marina - don't remember the name - where the LOBs are docked. Nice area with hookah bars and restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom