Hurghada diving, air or nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popo's dad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
i'm going to hurghada in a few weeks and i'm trying to fing out if the majority of diving there is done on air or nirtrox, can anyone help please. If it's mainly air then is nitrox readily available and at what cost per tank.

Thanks everyone
Safe diving

Sean

Best advice is to research the specific sites you are likely/desire to dive (Google is your friend). Form a rough idea of the dive plans for each site/day - calculate whether nitrox is going to be beneficial for you, or not.

Then contact a bunch of Hurghada dive centres; ask their opinion on the matter and also check they provide nitrox. Their response, or lack of, will not only help answer your questions, but also give you a clear indication of which centres are most likely to value you as a customer.

:D

Hi
i'm going to hurghada in a few weeks and i'm trying to fing out if the majority of diving there is done on air or nirtrox, can anyone help please. If it's mainly air then is nitrox readily available and at what cost per tank.

Thanks everyone
Safe diving

Sean

Depends on the operator, but most use air, since the majority of sites are pretty shallow. Contact your operator for detailed info.

For most dives, at least in terms of extending your bottom time, nitrox is not essential - most guided dives will be plotted along a super-conservative profile that takes into account no-deco limits for air divers. Low on deco? Shallow up to another awesome part of the reef! :)

Some of the bigger centres will offer it for free, in which case help yourself, but if you're being charged for it and need to factor it into the cost of your holiday, then as others have said, contact your centre in advance, ask up front about the dive profiles and maybe just take nitrox for the first dive of the day if you feel you need it.

I don't really know the wrecks out of Hurghada having only ever dived the Giannis D. there, but one place it's essential is on the wreck of the Thistlegorm - you can significantly extend your dive time in some of the deeper parts of the wreck for maximum enjoyment!

Cheers

C.

Many thanks for the replies, we're planning an over night trip for the thistlegorm if we can find a centre offering this, no luck yet, might just wait until we get there.
thanks again

I've dived a few times with Jasmin Dive Center. I like it there, it's a good diving school. They do occassionly go to the Thristlestorm. On their boats the majority is diving with EAN32. You buy a nitroxcard once (I think I paid €5) and you have free nitrox for life.

If you plan to get to Gubal, Tiran or Ras Mohammed, get nitrox if you can as the dives there hold plenty of interest relatively deep.

Personally I always dive nitrox in the red sea because I do spend a lot of time in rasmo and tiran and also because I dive 2-3 dives every day when Im there..

Any dive worth being dived is better on nitrox to extend the bottom time. Most sites in Hurghada you can dive without and still get an hour or so but if you have the choice I'd suggest to dive on nitrox. There are a few dive centres offering "nitrox for free" but I'm sure you realise that there is no such thing. "Nitrox Included" is what it should be called. Have a look at WELCOME TO AZIAB and go to the Hurghada page for contact details for all Dive Operators in Hurghada and check out the "Daily Diving" page for tips on what to look for when choosing operator.

...a...

Back
Top Bottom