Hunting lionfish in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even the small ones are not cheap. Course you could make your own with a piece of PVC, a couple end caps and a funnel..

We found a small shop/boat that was perfect for us. They did allow lionfish hunting but at the sites we visited, we only saw two of them (and we had 8 total dives in the two days we were there). We did two dives on the Vandenberg and a couple of "reefs". I say, "reefs" cause they aren't what I'm used to seeing off Pompano Beach. Very rubbly and not many fish to view.

At least I can say I dove in Key West and can now cross it off my list as a potential dive location.

Cheers!

We found a small shop/boat that was perfect for us. They did allow lionfish hunting but at the sites we visited, we only saw two of them (and we had 8 total dives in the two days we were there). We did two dives on the Vandenberg and a couple of "reefs". I say, "reefs" cause they aren't what I'm used to seeing off Pompano Beach. Very rubbly and not many fish to view.

At least I can say I dove in Key West and can now cross it off my list as a potential dive location.

Cheers!

WTH are you talking about?

Pompano Beach Florida???
are you kidding me?

Why....

That place is DEAD!
No tropical fish.
Poor reef structure.
Almost nonexistent wrecks to dive on.
No lobster.
Water clarity is horrendous.
Terrible current.
Lousy dive boats.
Not enough dive shops to fill tanks.
Long waits when you do.
What are you....
In the pay of the Pompano Beach Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Development Council or something?

Chug
Sadly,
Just had a good weekend on Lions in "Pompton",
probably due to last weeks cold water upwelling pushing them up from deeper than 150',
and lost my speargun.
But I think Jenny found it for me.

Last edited:
Chug: I'm assuming your response is the typical tongue-in-cheek, classic Chug: right?? Just trying to keep the tourists away so they don't take all your lobster and fish.

:sinq:
Pay no intention to this piece of scooter trash.

Chug
All your lobsters and Lion fish are mine!

Gotta chime in with Chug....

Broward's a bust for underwater buffet.

Visiting divers to the Gold Coast are much better off lobstering in Okeechobee....

and spearfishing at Tigertail Lake.

Nothing to see here....move along....move along...

......Visiting divers to the Gold Coast are much better off lobstering in Okeechobee....

Heck, I know the canals in my neighborhood are teaming with huge lobster: that's why there are so many hungry alligators in those same canals. You just have to wear a chain mail dive suit if you go diving for the bugs.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom