Hunting lionfish in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raisekayn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the lionfish population like in Key West and can a Hawaiian sling be used to hunt them?

Thanks,
Kathy N.
Lithia, FL

You can use a sling to hunt lionfish. Many boats have one or two on-board for just that purpose. The lionfish population is way, way down in frequently dived areas. You'll still get a chance to shoot one or two though.

If you hit the way deep wrecks scattered all around Key Weird, there are zillions of them to whack.
I am talking 120' or deeper.
There are a not a great many small patch reefs and rubble piles down there at less than 80' that has a strong population of Lions also as they do get hit very hard unless you are out on one of the smaller dive boats down there.
Local knowledge is the key.
Either yours, or a local.
I do know of a local small boat down there that will put you on them, and some other Sooper-Neeto dive sites, contact me with a PM and I can pass that info to you.

Chug
Hope everybody realizes the new world record Lion Fish was taken from the Islamorada area right before Memorial Day this year.

Last edited:
What is the lionfish population like in Key West and can a Hawaiian sling be used to hunt them?

Thanks,
Kathy N.
Lithia, FL

Lionfish are typically pretty easy to spear (when you can find them). A Hawaiian sling certainly will work for this application as well as other more challenging fish. Pictured on top.

However, if you are just starting out in this activity, you may find that a small, inexpensive pole spear is much easier to carry, to learn to use and it might even be a little safer in that it can keep the spines away from your hand more effectively. Pictured on the bottom.

We offer both slings and pole spears (and a lot more too).

MHSWSP-1.jpg

MTPS-1.jpg

Thanks

dano

A Hawaiian Sling can injure the coral in not used properly. Be careful with it.

Open season on lionfish. No license necessary. Use a pole spear. If you've never shot them before, be very wary of those spines. Not the big frilly one on the side, those are decoration, if the spine is hard, consider it toxic. The spines are sharp as needles and they know how to use them!!! Dorsal fin, anal fin, caudal fin, and the two ventral fins. How will you protect yourself after your catch? cut spines in the water? Put the fish in a containment unit?

Depending on your cert level, there are some deep and less frequented spots down there where the Lionfish are everywhere. I suggest a small polespear and a zookeeper. No worries about getting poked, and makes harvesting quick.

yep. Pole spear and Zookeeper. It's the way to go...

I wish the commercial size zookeepers were less expensive. I can only fit 10-12 fish in a standard:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom