Humbolt squid dive auction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Alaska airlines is having an airmiles auction on their website for an all inclusive dive trip to Loreto. It is for 3 days of diving with humboldt squid.
I so wish I could go. If you have Alaska Airlines miles to burn check it out.

diveasr:
nope they are like sharlks

Really? They just did a special on them on the Animal planet and the guy went diving with them wearing a shark suit and got immediately attacked by all of them, trying to eat him.

Maybe its a diff Humboldt Squid, these were ones in Sea of Cortez where the special was filmed.

...and if you'd check the auction you'd see it is indeed Sea of Cortez, and a search will find you http://www.sea-wolves.com/, where you'd see the guy who did the filming for the Discovery/Animal Planet shows is indeed associated with the company offering the trips.

Amazing what 30 seconds with a search engine will getcha.

Sounds like they tether divers only about 40' down, well out of the depth of the majority of the squid, and just lure up a few young-uns? But they still supply you with the chainmail... cages are also an option...

Color me curious, indeed...not sure I like the idea of just dangling in the column on a line; feels kind of like channeling a worm to me. But the thought of diving with these beasts is a rush - I love snorkeling with the little Caribbean reef squid - they seem so inquisitive and if wary, at least unafraid of clumsy humans, keeping perfect station nearby but not fleeing approaches - not sure their 'bigger brothers' are as cute and cuddly though. :wink:

I think that I will pass on this one. Chainmail is not very DIR.

...but it is tres chic...

I'd have thought a DIR diver would object more to being hung beneath the boat on a tether like a worm :)

RTRski:
...but it is tres chic...
Naw that's tres [SIZE=-1]sheikh (شيخ&#8206:wink: you know ... Abdul, Achmad and Hussan.[/SIZE]

H2OU:
I think that I will pass on this one. Chainmail is not very DIR.
Just paint it black...

RTRski:
Sounds like they tether divers only about 40' down, well out of the depth of the majority of the squid, and just lure up a few young-uns? But they still supply you with the chainmail... cages are also an option...

Yeah, cages will keep the squid out . . . maybe these are special ed squid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom