Humble gloating... Scuba Diving's Top 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc60625:
i'm headed to NC this summer (august probably)... but where exactly is the best diving or is that up for debate?

I'm looking at either the OBX (nags head, hatteras, etc) or the so called 'crystal coast' (further south but not quite wilmington). from what i've read initially it seems further south is better, am i getting that right?

Morehead/Beaufort is the place to dive in NC. The water temps are consistent and there is better viz. The Banks has some great diving but you never know what the water temp will be...80 degree one day and 60 the next. And the visibility can be really bad. With Morehead and Beaufort you won't have to carry both a wet and dry suit on a dive. Temps consistently in the 80's. Visibility during the Summer is consistently between 60 all the way to 100ft.

Thanks, looks like crystal coast it is... we'll have some non-divers in tow, luckily most golf. Any other must-dos for non-divers?

thanks again.

Sports fans don't build the teams they support either...Come on now Ron...

Actually we do! Who pays for the stadium, the tickets, the salaries? Fans and the public! :D

I'm not trying to bust your chops! I'm just hoping that the exposure will result in positive growth, but so often, it speeds growth, and promotes dangerous practices by hungry DiveOps, and radical price increases that result in locals having to deal with difficult property tax increases. I've seen it so many times where locals can no longer afford to live in the place they love as big money moves in.

I lived in Vail for 2 fantastic years...Had a blast back when I could afford to be a ski bum for 2 years...Great memories...

The back bowls in Vail remain one of my favorite spots! Nothing like them, but the skiing here is just sooooo good, it's hard to go wrong anywhere if the snow is good. On powder days... wow... just wow.

Ocracoke and Buxton are still a bit kicked back if you catch them at the right time of the year...Winter maybe:) I agree...gone are those days...Maybe a hurricane will bring them back...:11:...PM me if you do get down here at some point...

Yeah, I have not been to the outer banks in 15 years, be even then, one could see that development was going to change the place radically.

Thanks for the invite. I would just LOVE to spend a week in the Morehead city area and get some diving in. I need to make it a goal. I'd like to see the Outer banks again as well. So many memories from my close to 20 years spent in VA, traveling down to that area.

RonFrank:
Actually we do! Who pays for the stadium, the tickets, the salaries? Fans and the public!

Ok...I give up...No more gloating:)

The back bowls in Vail remain one of my favorite spots! Nothing like them, but the skiing here is just sooooo good, it's hard to go wrong anywhere if the snow is good. On powder days... wow... just wow.

On big powder days we would get to the shop a little early and take our snow mobiles to the bowls. As you know there are several lifts you have to take to get there so we bypassed them. The operators would already be there giving us this pissed off look because they couldn't go. We would park them and ski down China, on fresh powder for a couple of hours, drive the snow mobiles back to work. You are right...there is nothing like deep powder skiing. Man that brings back some memories. Every once in awhile we would take the last lift to Eagle's nest and ski trees down to a place called Minturn then eat at the Minturn Country Club... which wasn't a country club at all...Big grills and you cooked your own steaks...Very salloon type atmosphere. Ok...I gotta quit...This is beginning to hurt:D

You are welcome for the invite...Hope you can make it down in the near future.

100_2011.jpg
A dive would have been cancelled on a day like this one:)

As for the question, "who decides?", folks log on to the Scuba Diving magazine website and vote. Ergo, more divers equals more points.

That explains why the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico didn't place...we're trying to keep the place secret!

Congrats to NC, though. Keep getting wet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom