Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sterling,,I have a job coming up cleaning the sea chest on a merchant ship..were forming a three man dive team to do the job have you ever done this kind of work ..

Sea chest?! Isn't that what the engine cooling water travels through?! Why do u need three people?!?!

Hullscrubber: I know for sire their are more businesses being formed because my bank said there were twice as many business accounts being opened!

I know their are people that undercut us who pay thousands in I durance and websites and licences and then do the work wrong!!

Which is scary:). I think a lot people realize they want a profesuonal person, Luke this buoy placement I might do: he said his friend could do it bit he wanted it done right!! Some people want it done right

Here in the Bay Area, I have not noticed any more, or any fewer, new divers getting into the biz. I mean, new cards always pop up on the bulletin boards and the last couple of lousy economic years are no exception. New guys come and new guys go. Most don't stick with it for long. Conditions in the water here aren't exactly Hawaiian, and it takes long enough to build a clientele that can support a business that the noobs find before long they have to get a real job to pay the bills. I haven't noticed their numbers changing much one way or the other recently.

Same with lowballing prices- don't see it happing much here. In fact, the one guy doing it that comes to mind has been in business for years! My experience is that the divers that try to be the cheapest guy in the marina end up with the cheapest clients and the worst boats. They can have 'em, as far as I'm concerned.

...and charging for zinc anodes he never installed....
This kind of stuff happens with dive services that have been around a long time too, not only with the fly-by-night, cut-rate noobies. The marine maintenance biz in general (not just hull cleaning) has more than its share of flakes because it is a relatively cheap and easy business to get started in. To be honest, that makes it easy for the rest of us to stand out from the crowd. All you have to do is be professional and provide good customer service to put yourself head and shoulders above the competition.

Sea chest?! Isn't that what the engine cooling water travels through?! Why do u need three people?!?!

Yea it's the suction to the engine coolers and also raw water fire water etc..I was asked to make this dive with a well established dive service..he's spearheading the job..it takes three divers one topside and two below...the two below will be removing the grill cover and cleaning the intake valves..I was told the grill weighs a hundred pounds..

The intakes will still be connected to the engines...we will just be removing the grill and cleaning the intakes...I'm really excited and fortunate to be making a dive like this it will definately be a learning experience .

Back
Top Bottom