Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sterling, this guy moved up to Port Angeles (or Port Townsend, can't remember which) from the Bay Area after 10 years in the business here. He cleans boats up there but still comes back down here like once a month to service whatever clients he has here. I thought maybe you had run into him in your travels.

Another diver and I once made the mistake of letting respective Fictitious Business Names lapse. Zarit spotted this (or was waiting for it to happen) and then bought both our Fictitious Business Names in two seperate counties, presumably with the intention or hope of somehow forcing us to give up use of the names. It took my threat of bodily harm to get him to abandon my name.

Dude, this stuff you need to know if you are running a business and charging people money-

"A fictitious business name, assumed name, or DBA (short for "doing business as"), allows you to legally do business as a particular name at minimal cost, and without having to create an entirely new business entity. You can accept payments, advertise, and otherwise present yourself under that name. In fact, if you present your business under a name other than your proper legal name without proper notification, it may be considered fraud. Fortunately, filing for an assumed name is so easy and inexpensive, there's really not much excuse for not filing one. assumed name? What does it let you do?

It allows you as a sole proprietor to use a business name rather than your personal name. In some places you can use either your full name or part of your name plus a description of your product or service without filing an assumed name, e.g., Elena Garza Interior Design or J. Washington Investigataions. The exact rules vary from country to country and from state to state within the U.S., so check with your local business regulatory authority regarding your area. But if there's any implication that there are more people involved (Shawad & Sons, The Anderson Group, etc.), or if you just use the first name (Joe's Garage, Sam's Boat, etc.), you have to file an assumed name.

It also lets you use a typical business name without creating a formal legal entity (corporation, partnership, LLC, etc.). You can even open a business checking account and get a business phone listing for the name. For sole proprietors, this is the least expensive way to legally do business under a business name."

Doing Business As (DBA) a Fictitious Business Name: Why and How

Back
Top Bottom