Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say there are zero advantages of using a tank I can think of several advantages..you don't have to worry about entanglement,don't have to worry about loosing your reg,don't have to worry about suction pulling in dangerous exhaust fumes,no mechanical moving parts that can fail ..of course I've never dove with one so I'm just speaking the obvious that comes to mind..

you don't have to worry about entanglement.
It's not an issue, believe me. You got more worries banging up somebody's $5000 bottom job with your big, bulky tank than I do entanglements.

don't have to worry about loosing your reg..
I use a full face mask, reg is attached. Plus, who worries about losing their reg? I've never heard of such a thing. You're over-thinking this.

don't have to worry about suction pulling in dangerous exhaust fumes.
The compressor I use is electric- no exhaust fumes. Plus, the Thomas 1020 is extremely durable. Lasts for years without failure and zero maintenance.

Hey, it's your gig. You wanna make it tougher, more time consuming and more expensive than it has to be, knock yourself out. Seriously, tanks have no advantages over a hookah in any situation that a hull cleaner is likely to find himself in. You wanna talk about commercial stuff, working deep or away from shore power- that's a different story. But the way we do the hull cleaning business here in California, hookahs are the way to go.

Well in the last four days all my dives have been done at night due to me working my regular job during the day..all of them have been either removing crab traps from wheels or removing cable and rope from wheels...I would much rather have a tank on my back versus a long hose being I'm diving in pitch black water with zero vis due to the entanglement issue ..

That can be true... When I was doing my last job in 6 feet of 1 foot viz water and air hoses and anchor lines everywhere I kept thinking to my self how horrible a hookah hose would be... But if u manage it properly It can be good cause ur tank won't get hung up, which mine does a lot, and u don't needa worry about air when working, which I can run out fast when working hard but tanks can make since sometime

Well, I though this was thread about hull cleaning. Seems like I'm the only one here doing any of that... :D

I have done one hull cleaning job!!!!! This thread should be called "the divers bicker over hookahs, with a little bit of discussion about work we have done"

haha:)

Sterling,,I have a job coming up cleaning the sea chest on a merchant ship..were forming a three man dive team to do the job have you ever done this kind of work ..

Well, then lets talk about cleaning boat bottoms. With the economy being what it is, have you noticed a rise in novices trying to get into the biz? I don't mind competition, but they usually end up doing more harm than good... no insurance, drastically underbidding everyone else, then doing a very half-a**ed job. There's nothing like seeing the expression on a boat owners face when you tell him that his "discount-dive service" is only cleaning the waterline...

Back
Top Bottom