Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'm not really selling them anymore. Too much liability, not enough profit. I just haven't updated my web site in a long time. My hull cleaning rates are way out of date there too.
Do you have the plans for them, though?

You made it sound like it was a very simple mod...and WAY cheaper than buying an overpriced Brownies or similar system.

Also, how much power do they draw?
I really like the idea of electric over gas, but that can be a problem when you're on the hook or working on boats in an anchorage/mooring field (AKA: no shore power).

No plans- non needed. I just screw in a male pnuematic QD nipple to the output of the compressor and hose clamp my air hose to the female QD part. Some guys don't even get that fancy. They'll just hose clamp the air hose to a threaded hose barb coming off the compressor. You can add an in-line filter if you like (I haven't used one in years.)

The unit draws 10.5 amps. I can run it off a 2000 watt generator.

Don't overthink it. A hookah can be a very simple device. Just a compressor, hose and 2nd stage reg. You don't need a reserve tank, shutoff valve or any of the associated plumbing you see being sold with commercially available units.

The hose I use is not the hose I was selling, which is the yellow, floating stuff typically sold with commercially available units. The hose I use personally is commercial-grade sinking hose- the good stuff. I bought it from another diver. Not sure of the brand and I'm out of town until mid-week, so I can't look at it to check. The regs I sold and use personally are from Innovative Designs in Florida. Zeagle models designed for use with hookahs. I know other divers who use off-the-shelf 2nd stage SCUBA regs with these compressors with good results. But I also know others who have nothing but trouble with them. I recommend using a 2nd stage designed to be used with a hookah.

www.supersnorkle.com

Pros-
1.- It's much, much warmer than a regular mask
2.- It keeps the bugs and crap out of my moustache
3.- No water in the sinuses
4.- I don't have to take the regulator out of my mouth to talk
5.- No jaw fatigue
6.- Etc., etc., etc.

Cons-
1.- Can't really think of any. OK, one. You have to pull the whole mask off to breath if your compressor shuts down. Not a major concern, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom