Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amen to that... the anti-fouling properties of state-side bottom paint has been shrinking over the past years. (There's a thriving business in boot-leg bottom paint from the Bahamas down here in Florida) We also have the Clean Marina Initiative starting to happen in Florida, which will change the way bottoms are painted, and the way we divers clean them.

As in copper is bad for us or the environment or both?!
It's strictly an environmental issue, as far as the regulatory powers-that-be are concerned. Nobody knows (or cares) what copper might be doing to hull cleaners.

do u know the companies up here who r big in diving industry?!
Not really. If I had to pick one (out the few Puget Sound area dive services I know about) I'd say Emerald City Diving.

We also have the Clean Marina Initiative starting to happen in Florida, which will change the way bottoms are painted, and the way we divers clean them.
The Clean Marina program has been around for years in California and other states. It's a good idea in principal, but is strictly voluntary, mostly for show and has no teeth whatsoever. Certainly marinas like having the "Clean Marina" certification and I work in any number of such marinas. But not a single one since the inception of the program has even showed me, much less asked me to sign, any in-water hull cleaning BMPs. It's essentially a promotional gimmick, as far as I can tell, that let's the marina tell their tenants that they are "green" and helps keep the state and feds from breathing too hard down their necks. The marinas do have to jump thru a number hoops to get certified, but as far as hull cleaning BMPs go, it's just a page in the Clean Marina manual. I would be very surprised if you see any changes in the hull cleaning biz due to the program.

Well it's only the biggest diving company in the nw! They have an office in Cali and travel all over the world!!
When I say it's my job to know what's going on in this industry, I'm talking about the pleasure boat hull cleaning industry. Full-on hard hat diving and salvage (which is what I assume Global is doing) is a completely different gig. They are only related in that both involve working underwater. Other than that it's pretty much an apples-and-oranges comparison.

fstbttms: what kind of tools do u use? the cheapest since theri gonna rust?

how do u clean and store them and get them to the boat? It occured to me that when you walk down a mile long dock and jump in to work you dont wana forget you wrench or have the wrong size! what do u use?

Surprisingly, I've found that frequently (not always) the cheapest tools are the ones that last the longest. :idk: But generally, I do buy cheap tools. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they are a good source. Sears used to sell a great line of stainless Craftsman screwdrivers and those were probably the one expensive tool I'd buy over and over. But they don't carry them any more, so now I just use any screwdriver I have at hand. A couple times a year I'll go to the local flea market and shop around for good brands. You can get a bag of Craftsman, Stanley, Snap On etc. for less than fifty bucks. That's probably where most of my hand tools come from now.

I don't maintain my tools in any way, shape or form. I know divers that spray everything down with WD40 at the end of the day, but I don't bother. And again, I've got three dollar pliers and fifteen dollar pipe wrenches that have lasted for years. I think I've been using the same claw hammer ever since I started the business. So, I don't waste too much time taking care of the cheap stuff.

Most of the time I work out of a 13' inflatable boat. I have a set of three rectangular milk crates, one holds my compressor, cords and adapters, one holds my weight belt, hoods, gloves and leashes and the other my scrubbers, scraper, suction cup and tool box. I built an elevated platform out of PVC pipe that lives in the bow of the inflatable and holds the milk crates securely and leaves room for fins, zincs etc. underneath it. When I'm not in the boat, those same three milk crates stack neatly on my hand truck and I can easily wheel my gear around. After 15 years in the biz, you learn what you will need to bring for any particular job and to anticipate what you might want to have with you when diving new boats for the first time. But even now, I'll forget stuff. That's comes with the territory. You just try to minimize it as much as possible. Because you're right, it's a major PITA to have to go back to the truck because you forgot you were going to replace a five dollar zinc on the boat you just spent 15 minutes walking to. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom