Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should never direct a pressure washer at the hull or other painted surface- running gear only. I have never used compressed air or heard of it being used. I suspect it would be pretty inneffective underwater.

It's different underwater. The pressure washer must overcome the resistance of the water it's being sprayed thru. This means the nozzle must be held very close to the object being cleaned. The water pressure is extremely high at close range and paint removal is likely and damage the hull possible. If you watch them pressure washing a boat in the yard, they'll keep the washer nozzle several feet from the hull. This technique wouldn't work underwater.

You work in one of strictest states in the country, as far as hull cleaning goes. You need to keep that in mind when plying your trade. Use Best Management Practices and only clean hulls using the gentlest possible methods. Pressure washers do not meet that criteria.

Well, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the state of the hull cleaning biz in Washington, but if it's anything like California, then you (and every hull cleaner reading this) better get yourself informed about who is looking at what you do and what they plan to do about it. It's no secret that copper is a BIG water quality issue now, on both coasts. Sh*t rolls downhill and brother, we are at the bottom of that hill.

Back
Top Bottom