HUD vs Freedom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting a bit off topic, but how far away do you think we are from truly reliable wireless underwater data transmission? Garmin's new watch has something they called subwave, but I haven't looked into it much. Even if you had to have a wired "antenna" from the sensors that snapped onto the bottom of the computer to reduce the transmission distance?

At what point does the unreliability of fischers trump the unreliability of wireless?
There's more than fisher or wireless. At least a few units have great hard wired options - just minus any vibrations.

Getting a bit off topic, but how far away do you think we are from truly reliable wireless underwater data transmission? Garmin's new watch has something they called subwave, but I haven't looked into it much. Even if you had to have a wired "antenna" from the sensors that snapped onto the bottom of the computer to reduce the transmission distance?

At what point does the unreliability of fischers trump the unreliability of wireless?

the Subconns are way better than Fischer. The issue is @Shearwater is being ridiculous and won't sell them to dealers so those of us diving older units or homebuilds only get access to the Fischers which are not designed/rated to do this job, are more expensive, and the company is a PITA to deal with *Fischer, not Shearwater*. So you have to buy them from the OEM's who may or may not sell it to you if you don't have one of their units which is stupid. The downside to the subconns is that they really benefit from a pigtail because the bulkhead connectors are pretty large so that means the Petrel/Freedom/whatever else would have to be physically larger to deal with the design which makes it less appealing to those that dive OC and CC on the same computer. Pros and cons, but Subconn is the answer...

Interesting. Back in the day (the 90s) I worked with a team that did essentially what the Garmin Subwave seems to be doing. I don't know exactly what they are doing, but we were basically setting up comm networks using ultra sonic sonar.

We ended up shutting down for 2 specific reasons.
1. The market was not developed enough then, and most divers didn't see the need for such an expensive system.
2. We ended up being fairly concerned about flooding popular dive areas with tons of ultrasonic noise. Had no idea what it would do to the sea life, and no budget to do the research to prove it wasn't harmful.

I wonder if any environmental impact has been done on the new systems? Anyone more up to date than me have any idea?

Interesting. Back in the day (the 90s) I worked with a team that did essentially what the Garmin Subwave seems to be doing. I don't know exactly what they are doing, but we were basically setting up comm networks using ultra sonic sonar.

We ended up shutting down for 2 specific reasons.
1. The market was not developed enough then, and most divers didn't see the need for such an expensive system.
2. We ended up being fairly concerned about flooding popular dive areas with tons of ultrasonic noise. Had no idea what it would do to the sea life, and no budget to do the research to prove it wasn't harmful.

I wonder if any environmental impact has been done on the new systems? Anyone more up to date than me have any idea?
That's interesting...especially if there were environmental concerns. Off to the rabbit hole of the internet I go, lol.

A quick search just showed this. Would me nice to have something other than's Garmin's own opinion.

Will the SubWave “Chirp” Harm or Scare Away Sea Life?

The SubWave network uses a very low power sonar signal, much lower than that of traditional marine sonar systems. T1 generates SubWave signals at an average of 1W of power, up to a peak of 10W. For comparison, common consumer-grade fish finders average power output of around 1000W. Our testing has not indicated any impact to sea life.

A quick search just showed this. Would me nice to have something other than's Garmin's own opinion.

Will the SubWave “Chirp” Harm or Scare Away Sea Life?

The SubWave network uses a very low power sonar signal, much lower than that of traditional marine sonar systems. T1 generates SubWave signals at an average of 1W of power, up to a peak of 10W. For comparison, common consumer-grade fish finders average power output of around 1000W. Our testing has not indicated any impact to sea life.

Hi Friend

Garmin chirp, reports of it annoying the divers with the noise.
video
No desire to mess with audible bips.
But wireless ppo2 monitoring thats more reliable than fischer cables would obviously make me vibrate.

I have been saying this for a few years now: I wish Shearwater would make a device that I can connect my 4-pin cable from my O2 sensors to, that would wirelessly transmit the mV readings to my NERD and my Teric. I would still have a hard-wired controller, for controlling my solenoid and hard-wired reading of O2 sensors. But, for ppO2 monitors, I would be happy to have wireless.

And, while they're at it, let me connect my HP hoses to the same device, so the one device can also transmit my tank pressures, along with my O2 sensor readings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom