HUD vs Freedom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kammel78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, at first I typed HUD vs Vibrator, but then realized that may bring the wrong crowd... :p

Interested in thoughts on a blinky light type HUD vs something like the Freedom's vibrator (oops, couldn't resist), specifically as a ppO2 alarm? RESA didn't commit to one type of feedback (auditory, visual, tactile) being superior to the other, except to recommend 2 that are different.

Personal preference aside, what are the reasons you would or wouldn't use one over the other? Or even both?

Reactions: OTF
What unit are you installing it on?
Are you done taking courses on that unit?

Depending on the unit you cannot get certified or take classes on a modified unit. It needs to be stock. So the universe of units that can accept the divesoft HUD is pretty small.

I personally think vibrate is better than visual, especially as a cave diver where 0 viz is not uncommon. Vibrating HUD's however are one better.

I personally think vibrate is better than visual, especially as a cave diver where 0 viz is not uncommon. Vibrating HUD's however are one better.
If you're using the HUD as an alarm both would be best. You never know what will snap your brain out of a hypoxic fog.

Depending on the unit you cannot get certified or take classes on a modified unit. It needs to be stock. So the universe of units that can accept the divesoft HUD is pretty small.
Do you know off hand if that is the case of the Prism 2 and TDI? I plan on starting training in August. I've read a number of complaints online (seems to be general consensus) that some mods should have been stock.

Do you know off hand if that is the case of the Prism 2 and TDI? I plan on starting training in August. I've read a number of complaints online (seems to be general consensus) that some mods should have been stock.
Sorry can't help you on the Hollis (but why oh why would you go with a hollis lol).

Its mostly dependent on instructor enforcement anyway, but instructors run the risk of being booted by the manufacture for teaching on modified units.

Sorry can't help you on the Hollis (but why oh why would you go with a hollis lol).

Its mostly dependent on instructor enforcement anyway, but instructors run the risk of being booted by the manufacture for teaching on modified units.
Why the Hollis? The main reason is that if my filming project of ancient wrecks happens, we'll all be on Prism 2s.

I've read a number of gripes over time about some things that should be standard, hence the question.

Is there a fundamental issue you have with Prism 2s? Or is it with Hollis as a company?

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm not looking for advice on which to buy, just interested in the concept as a risk management tool. A buddy and I were debating HUDs and he mentioned the Freedom's vibration and I honestly hadn't thought about that up to this point as a viable alternative to the blinky lights.

If I recall, RESA had some back and forth in the minutes about what to consider a modification to the unit which started around mouthpieces. I think the general consensus was that the mods have to be "manufacturer approved" or something like that.

Anecdotally, I've heard a few people brag about how strong the Freedom's vibration is, even in drysuits (which was one of my initial concerns).

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm not looking for advice on which to buy, just interested in the concept as a risk management tool. A buddy and I were debating HUDs and he mentioned the Freedom's vibration and I honestly hadn't thought about that up to this point as a viable alternative to the blinky lights.

If I recall, RESA had some back and forth in the minutes about what to consider a modification to the unit which started around mouthpieces. I think the general consensus was that the mods have to be "manufacturer approved" or something like that.

Anecdotally, I've heard a few people brag about how strong the Freedom's vibration is, even in drysuits (which was one of my initial concerns).

it's actually thick wetsuits that you have to worry about, drysuits aren't an issue but the vibrate is more than loud enough to also be an audible alarm.

Why the Hollis? The main reason is that if my filming project of ancient wrecks happens, we'll all be on Prism 2s.

I've read a number of gripes over time about some things that should be standard, hence the question.

Is there a fundamental issue you have with Prism 2s? Or is it with Hollis as a company?

The Prism 2 is a bit of plastic fantastic, it doesn't feel like a quality built unit. Compound that with Hollis as a company and it's not going to get many fanboys unless they're selling the things....
Are you required to be on them because of some advertising contract?
Either way, on the DiveCAN units, most of them do not have an analog out for cells to be read, so you are stuck with Shearwater who unfortunately does not have haptics on any of their DiveCAN options

It's basically 100% chinese made plastic, flimsy with poor fit, poor finish. Combined with the "legendary" hollis support that drops the second there's no profit factor. The instructor pool pushes them hard but they are not an exploration grade unit.

Unless you are sponsored and getting them free there are better choices IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom